VMware Horizon Community
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

User disk datastore location after upgrade to View 5

Hi,

I have problem. I have 5 desktop pools running on View 4.6. Pools were created as dedicated linked clone with OS disk on SAS datastore and User disk on SATA datastore.

After upgrade to View 5 something happens. Option "Use different datastores for OS and View Composer persistent" is now unchecked and greyed out and and on all pools all disk (os and user disks) are on all datastores.

Have you anybody see this issue?

Is there any way how to fix it? Except delete all pools!

many thx

JZ

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So it was checked before and now it's unchecked and the persitent disk and OS disk are on the same datastore?   Are all of the host on the same vSPhere version and have access to the same datastores?

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, that is correct.

Upgrade was made in three steps:

1. upgrade vCenter to 5(monday)

2. upgrade to View 5 - brokers (tuesday)

3. upgrade esx from 4.1 u1 to 5 and view agent to 5 (weekend)

yes, all esx (25 servers) see all datastores. No changes were made on SAN. Strange is that datastores are now marked with (1) e.g. SATA_XXX (1) and before update was named SATA_XXX only...

JZ

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

It might be best to open a ticket with VMware to assure that there was no corruption on the upgrade.   

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have asked vmware support and answer was tricky simple. During upgrade somethings happened and datastores were signed with (1) mark and that was problem. After renaming all datastores to old names, everything was good.

JZ

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Great news and thanks for sharing the solution.  Did they have any idea what caused the mark in the name? 

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have no idea. something happened during update vcenter/composer, bu i do not know what.

0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The check boxes being greyed out is an effect of the DS being renamed, not of the upgrade.

When you change the DS name in vSphere it has a direct correlation to how View can read your datastores. And therefore would mess up a lot of the communication between the DS and the View Manager / desktops.

Ive already opened a feature request through VMWare to allow for dynamic DS mapping as opposed to a static link to a DS name for View.

0 Kudos