VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

User cannot install horizon client 5.4

We have a number of users now working from home during the pandemic. This user in question cannot get the client installed. It appears to be working, then says installation failed.

I have attempted to uncheck all the options, MMR, USB, Teams, etc and it still fails.

I'm attaching the logs generated by using the /l command from the command prompt. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. I did manage to figure this out today. Turns out she has Webroot installed and it puts a lock on the hosts file, which the installer tries to write to. Even though we'd disabled protection, it still locked the hosts file until I shut down the entire Webroot process. After that it worked perfectly.

So note to self, check to make sure the protection suite software is fully disabled in the future.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

It seems that you have one of these two problems:

• running the .msi file without administrative rights (run as administrator)
  • Corrupted .msi file

pastedImage_0.png

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a windows 10 home. There is only the one user on the laptop. I will attempt to create a second administrator user and see if that works.

What's odd is that it appears to install, you even see the icon on the desktop, but as it nears the end, it removes everything and says failed.

We have downloaded the installer a couple different times and I've even extracted the .exe and run just the .msi with the same results.

0 Kudos
VirtuallyANewb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've encountered this twice in the last week - the issue in both cases was a botched installation of the C++ Redistributable Packages that come prior to the client itself. I had to uninstall both (2015 - 2019 Redistributable v. 14.24.28127  for x86 and x64) before it would install successfully.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. I did manage to figure this out today. Turns out she has Webroot installed and it puts a lock on the hosts file, which the installer tries to write to. Even though we'd disabled protection, it still locked the hosts file until I shut down the entire Webroot process. After that it worked perfectly.

So note to self, check to make sure the protection suite software is fully disabled in the future.

Closki
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If someone of you still having trouble,problems/issue when installing VMware Client, maybe this helps. It was already a built-in app in Microsoft Store for Windows 10.pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos