VMware Horizon Community
michwolf
Contributor
Contributor

User can't log in. Missing serviceprincipalname.

When a user attemts to login using their AD credentials they are getting the following error:

"The SAM database on the windows server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship."

This does not happen on every vm in the pool.  Upon further research I found that the vm with the error had an empty serviceprincipalname associated with the workstation object in AD.

I compared the netsetup.log file from the affected workstation with one from a working workstation and they are identical.  So it looks like the workstation thinks it is joined to the domain correctly.

My question is when the workstations are being deployed what populates the serviceprincipalname?  What may be taking place to cause this issue?  Is there a command that I can run if I find this issue to resolve it for this vm?  Is it just a matter of simply editing and populating the affected serviceprincipalname or are there other things that need to be configured?

Our current environment is vsphere 4.1 update 2 and  vmware view 5 running on windows server 2008 r2 without SP1 applied.  VM's are Windows 7 SP1.

I saw note to this in another post but we are sysprepping the master vm, then we use the quickprep process when adding it to the pool.  Not sure if this contributes to the existing issue, but wanted to make note of it.

Any assistance on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Michael

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So is this a floating or persistent pool?     I would think a simple recompose of the VDi machine would correct the issue.      If you don't mind me asking is there any reason you sysprep the master?  

0 Kudos
michwolf
Contributor
Contributor

This is a floating pool. A recompose may resolve the issue, but I want to determine why this is happening to begin with.  If this is just standard operation, I will need to put a process in place to confirm each serviceprincipalname is not empty after pool creation to ensure users are not affected.

The reason for running sysprep on the master before quick-prep is to copy the pre-configured administrator profile over to the default profile in a Microsoft supported manner.

0 Kudos