VMware Horizon Community
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

User can't conect to XP desktop with IPad...

Hola,

I have a remote user that is unable to connect to his virtual desktop with his IPad.  He is able to connect to his virtual desktop from his Windows PC with View client and he can also connect to his virtual desktop from home using his Windows laptop with View client.

He receives the following error message from his IPad "This desktop does not support the requested display protocol.  Please contact your system administrator."

I verified his display adapter on the virtaul desktop per VMware KB article 2010852.  I also unassigned him from the desktop and assigned to myself.  I was able to connect to my desktop with a IPad :smileyplain:

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention using VMware View 4.6

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Monico
Contributor
Contributor

you're using PcoIp correct?

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am.  Thanks or the reply.

Just tried another POC with a helpdesk rep.  She was setting up a new iPad and I asked her to install the View client.  When she logged into the iPad she received the "This desktop does not support the requested display protocol.  Please contact your system administrator" error.  I asked her to hand the iPad to me and I was able to login :smileyconfused:

This tells me it has to be a permissions/AD issue...  But its strange they can login to their virtual desktops from any Windows machine and not an iPad.

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

I thought I had it resolved, but still scratching my head :smileyplain:

I had another user testing for me and she also received the error message "This desktop does not support the requested display protocol.  Please contact your system administrator."

I add the port # to the end of the HTTP(S) secure tunnel (example: https://iwish.icould.fixthisissue:443) Smiley Happy and she was able to connect!!!

Had the original user try adding the port :443 and no luck :smileyconfused:...

0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Problem is solved!!!

I had the remote user connect to his virtual desktop using the Windows View client.   But, before he selected his desktop I had him verify he selected PCoIP for the protocol.   After connecting to the virtual desktop, I had him log off and then try from his iPad.  Success!!

Now, if he logs back in and uses his Windows View client and selects RDP the iPad won't connect again until he logs back in using the Windows View  client and selects PCoIP....and once again he can connect via the iPad.

Looks like it tries to use the previous protocol used when trying to connect.  He just needs to make sure he connected last via PCoIP before traveling with his iPad.

0 Kudos
willkerr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  That did the trick.  I wish they would let you choose the protocol in the iPad app.

0 Kudos