VMware Horizon Community
R4nG4r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

User Profile not loading properly after logoff.

We've been running into these issues since Agent 7.02 -

We're running 7.7 now.

UEM 9.6

App-Volumes 2.15

Win 10 1803

esxi 6.7

Whenever a user Disconnects and Logs off, and then logs in again, it seem like the profile hasn't finished exporting properly and as soon as the user logs back in, almost non of the saved Application Data loads, Outlook runs into startup problems and the File Explorer menu font is bold.

Its hard for the typical user to notice that something is wrong and the environment is weird.

Examples in a non functional environment:

The screen sometimes starts blinking and all the fonts are weird. Logon time is longer than usual.

image2018-11-26_17-24-50.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_4.png

Take note of the difference in fonts. To the left is the non functional environment and to the right is the functional one.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Are we running the profile import/export incorrectly? Where is the best place to start investigating regarding profile load?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you have appstacks applied to these as well or did you install applications in  the parent image or are you using something else?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
gstrouth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Persistent or Non-Persistent?

0 Kudos
R4nG4r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi gstrouth, we're running on Persistent.

0 Kudos
gstrouth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So is it deleting the profile on log off or something?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What do you mean by persistent?

What type of desktop pools are these, are the linked clones and are they deleting on logoff/

Are the persistent because your using UEM to save the data, or are you also using writeable volumes?

For the graphics issue are you using pcoip or blast?

Are you redirecting your user profiles to a file share?

0 Kudos
R4nG4r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sjesse,

We're using linked clones and i'm not sure if the're getting deleted after logoff, i think they're not. Atleast rebooting the machine fixes the issue.

We're using UEM to save the data.

BLAST protocol is being used and is set by default.

The profiles are getting redirected to a fileshare.

Type: Automated Desktop Pool

User assignment : Dedicated Assignment

Automatic assignment : Enabled

Persistent disk : Same disk as the OS

Disposable disk drive letter: Same disk as the OS

Allow reuse of pre-existing computer accounts : Yes

Refresh OS disk on logoff: Never

0 Kudos
R4nG4r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't think so since that setting is not enabled.

Allow reuse of pre-existing computer accounts: Yes

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you have appstacks applied to these as well or did you install applications in  the parent image or are you using something else?

0 Kudos
R4nG4r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sjesse, we have a couple of AppStacks applied aswell as some base applications, Office 2016(365), Adobe Reader, Dymo Label,Chrome, frameworks, redists.

After disconnecting all the appstacks we couldn't reproduce the issue(i'm feeling clumsy..). We realized that the Dynamics 365 Outlook add in appstack was causing the issue. We're gonna re-provision it and see if the issue persists.

I wonder if there's any specific rule of thumb to what belongs in an AppStack and what doesn't. Device drivers etc.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd be careful using full persistent desktops with appvolumes, they can cause problems, in general its a good idea to have these delete on logoff so they delete any temprary files and start in a good state. If this worked and stopped over time this may be the case. I'm doing this with physical desktops and they are a pain to manage sometimes.

The best guidlines I use is if the application installs an agent, driver, or needs specific knowledge of a specific machine its not a good appvolumes candidate. These work sometimes but can cause problems, for an example a webserver sometimes work. These require workarounds that can sometimes work,

0 Kudos
R4nG4r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for the information. We'll look into it.

We're planning on moving our main pool to an instant clone solution. If i understand Instant clones correctly will that possibly solve this issue in the future?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Possibly, the nice thing with non persistent desktops, in general if you test them correctly if users start having problems they can just logoff and log back on again and its probably fixed. Thats because the applications are non persistent, and the os is non persistent, its the only the users setting and data that could cause problem. With UEM that could be fixed by using on of the setting backups they have access to, and with newer versions with writeable volumes you could also try a backup of there writable to solve the problem. Persistent desktops thats all in one and you need to dig through everything, which is why we try very hard to only save what users need and are looking for ways to trim that.

0 Kudos