VMware Horizon Community
torquilcleric
Contributor
Contributor

User Profile issue

I have set up a small test environment using linked clones to test user profiles after a refresh. I logged on with an account to create a local profile on one of the new clones. I added shortcuts to the vm to simulate what a user would add during their Windows session. I created this automated pool with a dedicated DataDisk for user profiles assigned to the E: drive. I noticed that the user profile that I logged on with was created under documents and settings on the C: drive, but not under documents and settings on the E: drive of the DataDisk.

I then ran a refresh on the vm, and it wiped out everything that I had changed as the user. I need to be able to save local profiles during a refresh, any idea what I am doing wrong and why it doesn't seem to be using the DataDisk drive to store the profile?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
cdickerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sounds like you logged into the pc before the snapshot was taken so the profile already exists on the c: drive. it can't have the same profile on both the c: drive and the user data disk. make sure the only profile on the c: drive is the local administrator before you use the vm as a source vm and create a snapshot.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should use an administrator account as well.

torquilcleric
Contributor
Contributor

I retested with an account that had not been used on the base image, and it did keep the old user profile on the DataDisk after a refresh. But this has resulted in a different issue. On the next login after the refresh, the user account was recreated a second time instead of using the account that was already there. For example, the user profile 'jdoe' was created on initial log on. After a refresh, the 'jdoe' profile was still there, but the login created 'jdoe.domain' and therefore all of the previous profile settings were ignored. Can this be resolved?

0 Kudos
torquilcleric
Contributor
Contributor

I logged a support request with VMware and this is a known issue that they are working on . Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
HHO-Tim
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. After recomposing on the user disk the old profile exists. In the first login after recomposing xp creates a new profile folder.

Are there some news from vmware?

0 Kudos
torquilcleric
Contributor
Contributor

I can tell you what was causing this issue for my facility. When I created the desktop group, I placed it in the CN=Computers OU in Active Directory. I then moved the linked clones to another OU which they were going to live in. To do a refresh, the linked clones had to be moved back to the Computers OU then once completed, I manually moved them back to the OU they reside in. This was causing the new profiles to be created.

I made a new group and assigned the final OU in the setup up the group so that there would be no need to move the linked clones around in Active Directory. Problem solved for me.

0 Kudos
HHO-Tim
Contributor
Contributor

I have created my xp machine, then i add the machine to our domain in the

computers folder.

Then i created the desktop group.

Every time, when i recompose the image, there was a new profile folder

created.

I haven't moved the machine in the domain.

Now, i tried to create the pcs in the domain in another ou, but the same. Every time there was a new profile.

0 Kudos
JCRC626
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue as well.

0 Kudos
HHO-Tim
Contributor
Contributor

Hello JCRC626,

which software do you installed on your master image?

Do you have deleted the local user profiles on the master image?

In my case it is ok meanwhile.

Best regards

Tim

0 Kudos
JCRC626
Contributor
Contributor

We are using Thinapp, so only what I couldn't get to work with that. That includes some software for some desktop scanners, Server 2003 admin pack, Exchange tools, Trend Office Scan AV, and the Citrix Xenapp Client.

I did not delete the local user profiles, but I used a different account than the one I am logging into View with.

0 Kudos
HHO-Tim
Contributor
Contributor

please try to delete the local user accounts.

I'm not sure what i have done before the profiles were persistent, but i can remember that i had deleted all local user accounts, only the admin was configured.

0 Kudos
JCRC626
Contributor
Contributor

That did not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
HHO-Tim
Contributor
Contributor

So, you can try to create the computers in the domain in another ou, not in computers.

I had tested at first to install a vm only with xp and no other software. After that i made a snapshot1 and a snapshot2 and after recomposing the profiles were persistent.

0 Kudos
JCRC626
Contributor
Contributor

They are automatically placed in another OU.

0 Kudos
HHO-Tim
Contributor
Contributor

Then try do make a blank vm only with xp. Make a snapshot1 and a snapshot2.

I think it is possible a client like xenapp makes the problem.

0 Kudos
JCRC626
Contributor
Contributor

Setting up a clean VM fixed the problem. I was not the person who origninally set up that VM so I am not sure what caused the problem.

0 Kudos
HHO-Tim
Contributor
Contributor

Thats great. I'm glad that a clean vm fixed the problem.

0 Kudos