VMware Horizon Community
Donwurzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

User Profile Management - Recommendation

Hi Community I need your opinion for the Direction we should go with the coming End of Live of Office 2010

We will use Office 2019 On Demand and Office 365 for some employers.

Vmware Software what we had bought:

Vmware Horizon

Vmware DEM (UEM)

Vwmare App Vollumes Standard

Our Current Setup looks like this:

- Windows 10 Golden Image (x64 1909)

- Mandatory Profile

- DEM - User Environment Management

- Office 2010 Online Mode (not cached)

This Setup Works really well and we have no problems

Our Future Environment:

- Windows 10 Golden Image (x64 1909)

- DEM - UEM User Environment

- Vmware App Volumes

- Office 2019 (Cached Mode >>> That's why we have App Volumes)

- Office 365 Business Premium (Cached Mode >>> That's why we have App Volumes)

Here we don't know whats the best solution?

a) What User Profile Management ist the best to go: Mandatory, Local Profiles, Roaming Profiles >>> If you have DEM and App Volumes

b) Should we use App Volumes Writable for the Profile if it is a Local One?

c) Should we use DEM for Profile and in Combination with App Volumes Writable Disk (So that the Local Profile saves the Profile on the writeable Disk?)

d) We try it with the App Volumes 2006 Version, but we have Problems to get it run....

It Woult be nice do know what is the Current Way to go for User Profiles?

Thx a lot for your Ideas

Best Regards

7 Replies
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A) When you use DEM as a profile management solution, a local Windows 10 profile would be the easiest, and fastest way (source: https://www.go-euc.com/performance-difference-between-user-profiles/ )

B) Well you could do that, but we implemented FS Logix for the O365 profile. I could highly recommand that, because you could choose to only fit in the Office part of the user profile in a FS Logix container, and manage the other part of the user profile with DEM. FS Logix is included in most O365 licenses FSLogix Overview - FSLogix | Microsoft Docs

Either way, use a profile container for O365 users. If you dont use one, and users are going to search their Outlook for emails, Outlook can get really slow!

C) As i said, i would recommand out of my experience to go with DEM for the main part of the user profiles, and use FS Logix for the Office part of the profile. But Writables would also work ofcourse, but my experience with them arent that great. This because of corrupt Writables etc.

D) Cant say anything about this App Volumes version yet, because we still use the 2.18 version.

bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Why not just use fslogix for both containers? Any disadvantage to doing that?

0 Kudos
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, yeah you could to that. But the nice part about DEM is that you can manage individual components of the user profile. When a certain part of the user profile gets corrupted in DEM, you only have to remove the corrupted part out of the user profile. If you use a profile disks solution like FS Logix, in most situations you must delete the hole profile disk. So for that reason i would only use a profile disk for the Outlook OST, and some other Office settings. DEM also got features like Self-Service where an end-user could restore application settings of single application all by them self.

Donwurzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A big thx to the community, for your opinions.

I will post in about 2 Weeks what direction we have chosen.

Maybe we will make it step by step.

This is my current view:

1.) Office 2010 >>> change to Office  2019 Local Installed on Golden Image

2.) Office 365 Business Premium >>> Appstack

3.) Writeable Volume IAF only (with App Volumes 2006 eg. 4.1) for OST and Searchable Index

FSXlogic: I will test ist, but we bought Vmware App Volumes thats why i would try it with the software we current have

4.) Profile Management Change from Mandatory to Local (Our Mandatory Profile works Perfect with Windows 10x64 1909, and DEM delivers the User Profile Files, i don't know why

the people say Mandatory doesent work, we have no problems )

I will mark the post as closed in about 2 Weeks, maybe there are another opinions which are interesting.

best regards

p.s. sorry for my englisch

bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@srietberg I don't know much about DEM. So are these individual components (which I assume are files)  stored within the fslogix profile disk or on a separate location than the fslogix profile disk?

0 Kudos
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bjohn,

DEM files are stored on a (Windows) file share. It does nothing have to do with FS Logix Profile disks. You can choose to replace DEM by a full profile FS Logix disk, but as I said I would prefer to use DEM for most of the profile part and only use FS Logix for the Office part.

0 Kudos
alienjoker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Im with @srietberg on this... the throw away Outlook/Search data stays in FS Logix (which can easily be replaced in the event of business continuity or DR). The DEM data can be customised and replicated between file servers for consistency of user experience between primary/secondary sites with the smallest footprint/overhead.

Good luck!

0 Kudos