VMware Horizon Community
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

User Application Customization on Persistent Desktops

Hi,

Persistent desktops are normally deployed when we have to preserve user customizations and user profiles. The user profile is redirected to the User Data Disk. However any applications that are installed by users on the desktop are normally installed in the C:\Program Files directory. What happens to these applications after a recompose - for example after monthly patching?

Thanks,

-vmsf

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Well the whole idea with linked clones is that you should not patch the individual desktops, you patch the master and do a recompose.

If you have users that need to install applications etc you need to provide them with full clones.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
gstrouth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But then aren't you loosing all of the features of updating images? I am also running into the same problem where users need to install apps and do other customizations that aren't stored in the profile. I need a way to update these images without loosing what the user has done. From what I've found the only way it by using 3rd party tools.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure what you mean by "loosing all the features" but one of the big benefits with view is the single image management.

The feature you are lookin for is generally referred to as "user installed apps" and there are some solutions for that on the market, Unidesk is one of them using a layering technology.

From my point of view you want to minimize the changes an enduser can do on his/her desktop, with allowing them to install non-approved applications and changing system-settings you will incur a higher operational cost and increased support.

The applications should be delivered by either include them in the master image or with application virtualization. (Like ThinApp)

User-data should be stored either in the profile or on redirection of folders.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

The issue is with apps which do not save user customizations to the user profile and aren't good candidates for thinapp. And there are some apps that require admin rights to run - what can we do about them.

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and solely for the intended addressee(s). Do not share or use them without Fannie Mae’s approval. If received in error, delete them and contact the sender.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Why would they not be good candidates for ThinApp? (The sandbox is by default stored in the profile.)

Apps that require local admin-rights are usually very good candidates for thinapp since it isolates the app and lets it write in all locations it wants.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

Have you thinapped apps like hummingbird, Hyperion, Eclipse?

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and solely for the intended addressee(s). Do not share or use them without Fannie Mae’s approval. If received in error, delete them and contact the sender.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I did eclipse once but not the other applications. Eclipse worked fine for me...

There are a few references for both of them in the ThinApp forum.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

How did you manage the Eclipse User Workspace location - I have non-persistent desktops and want to make sure that the users get their workspace on every desktop. Do I need to use full isolation?

And thanks for your help.

0 Kudos