VMware Horizon Community
johnhu866
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Urgent Help!!! one of my client meets - "the view agent reports that this desktop source is unable to accept connections"

Dear all,

one of my staff said she could not connect her desktop vm22 and the view client said "the view agent reports that this desktop source is unable to accept connections". my view administrator displays that “the pending session on machine xx for user xxx has been expired ” . but i then assigned another user to the same desktop, everything looks fine.

background:

1. I am using view 6.0.   

2. This user used to assigned another desktop vm06. it took a long long time (more than 30 minutes) to login (agent set not delete local persona) , This Morning when she tried to connect(already logged in before, here just reconnect),  she got "there is no available gateway for this display protocol". So i assigned her to another desktop vm22

Is there something wrong with this user account or something else. Need your help!!! Thanks in advance!

79 Replies
JanVegarV
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have the same issue With View 6.2.2 and Persona enabled.

Can you confirm that creating a pool with Persona disabled and using Windows Profile u still have hanging logoff session? So this is a 6.2.2 issue?

We have a open ticket at VMware support now.

0 Kudos
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UPDATE:  We may be on to something with Microsoft and it could be related to IE11.  They've had other customers with dumps similar to ours referencing HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security).  They suggest disabling this feature within the registry and see if the issue persists.  If the issues go away, revert back the changes and apparently the latest IE cumulative update from yesterday is supposed to contain the fix (even though I don't see any reference to it).

HSTS info:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3071338

Cumulative update that apparently fixes the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3160005

We'll be testing the registry change on Monday and give it a few days to see how things look then go from there.

JanVegarV...We have the VMware Persona piece of the Horizon agent disabled.  We use Microsoft UE-V for our persona management as well as some folder redirection (IE favorites and Desktop).

0 Kudos
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This did in-fact fix our issue.  We put the registry change in place 6 days ago and no hung logoffs since.

0 Kudos
Chiefnmaster01
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious you installed the update or only the reg key. Also do you have any contact with VMware support about this windows update. I'm very curious what VMware support thinks of this update.

The reason i am asking is because i am hoping that if there is a KB Article/Statement of vmware I have sufficiënt ground to request a urgent request for change to fix this issue in our environment.

0 Kudos
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We currently only have the registry fix in place (being pushed down via Group Policy).  We'll be installing the update towards the end of next week.  We initially had a ticket opened with VMware and they said it was a Microsoft issue.  We then opened up a ticket with them and after pulling quite a few dumps they had noticed a few things in the logs that were similar to other customers and it was related to an IE issue.  There's no KB that I know of from VMware, only the Microsoft articles.

0 Kudos
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also have been having this problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed the patch fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue.

Did disabling HSTS solve the problem?

0 Kudos
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have disabled HSTS via the registry on one pool but i am still seeing problems... (perhaps i didn't apply it correctly)

• The vCenter console the desktop is a black screen
  • I can ping the desktop
  • I can initiate an RDP but i never get to the desktop
  • I have yet to test to see if i can at least pull the logs from the system... be trying that later today
  • The user session has been disconnected for 6 days so other than powering down its no change for me

We are going to apply the IE patch (again if it's not installed) and see how that fairs...
We only upgraded to Horizon 6 this year (Feb) , IE11 wasn't fully pushed out til June - i have to confirm when we started seeing this on a regular basis to piece it all together. We have different desktop pools in total

I'll try and update again next week after the re-compose

James

0 Kudos
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem still exists:

In fact the problem seems to have gotten worse since the patching. Desktops are now freezing during logon and just end up stuck until they are powered down.
Guess its time to engage support

James

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

madman. When you say Stuck at login, what does the user see?

We have an issue right now where the user logs in, gets the welcome screen en nothing happens after that. The machine is stuck indefintly. We are using Appvolumes btw and what we see happening is that the Appvolumes tries to connect to the Appvolumes agent on the machine but it never receives that message. It could well be that the machine, the logon process or the TCP stack crashed in some way..

0 Kudos
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ray,

What i have seen is. The user logs in and gets the desktop. They hit the start menu and the whole machine is locked completely
I can ping the desktop for a response but nothing works other than a power off

This is just plain Horizon View Standard - no add ons

0 Kudos
madmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My logoff problems seems similar to this thread

I'm trying the scheduled task on one the pools to see how it goes

0 Kudos
Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey All!

We are having a similar issue, however, we are running 7.0.3.

TONS of the following error messages show up on the daily:

"The pending session on machine...has expired" & Unable to launch from pool...for user: Machine is not ready"

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I don't think it's really hurting any of the users as i've heard no complaints, but I hate seeing that warning number increase. out of 1200+ sessions. We see roughly 500 errors a day.

0 Kudos
pari2k3
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, pari2k3!

I'll check this out. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well...checked that and it's configured already. Darn....I was hopeful!

0 Kudos
Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

tjbailey....did the HSTS reg fix resolve your issue?

We are still seeing this on our end with Horizon 7.0.3

0 Kudos
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It did alleviate the frequency of the issue we were seeing at the time, but it still occasionally happens.  We have a second 6.2.2 environment up experiencing the issue little more often than we'd like.  I'm not 100% sure they are related, though, and we're continuing to troubleshoot.

SchwarzC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We still see this issue on 7.3.1 - any updates here?

How did you fix this issue in your enviroment?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We haven't seen this issue for a long time. Eventually we had an issue with the agents not being installed in the correct order. We are using vGPU's and drivers need to be installed in a specific way. If you are to upgrade the view environment make sure to first uninstall all applications, then install them in the following order.

1. VMWare Tools (full install)

2. VMWare Agent

3. VMWare Direct Connect Agent (if needed)

4. NVidia Drivers.

We found out that this install sequence works for us.

0 Kudos