VMware Horizon Community
Gbraier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uprade the Connection Server OS

Hello,

currently, the instance of connection server has been installed on Windows sever 2012 R2.

We'd like to upgrade the OS to Windows server 2019.

What is the best way to achieve this?

The VDI environment is in production mode so it's most important to me is minimum down time, zero down time is better.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricMonjoin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well the in-place upgrade is not really possible, so best way is to deploy new VM with Windows Server 2019 and install Horizon Connection Server on it as replica and join the existing PoD, then  decommission older servers one by one as soon as all you new connection servers are up and running.

Doing things this way will be done with absolutely no down time.

Eric

View solution in original post

4 Replies
EricMonjoin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well the in-place upgrade is not really possible, so best way is to deploy new VM with Windows Server 2019 and install Horizon Connection Server on it as replica and join the existing PoD, then  decommission older servers one by one as soon as all you new connection servers are up and running.

Doing things this way will be done with absolutely no down time.

Eric

Jamit2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I spoke to VMware Support about this very subject in short they advised they do not support in place upgrades of the connection broker servers.

Also something to be mindful of is the number of connection brokers you have in a pod, which is 7. This may play into your planning scenario if you have 7 production connection servers already in your pod, I am not sure if you can introduce an 8th server temporarily before you decommission an 2012R2 server?

VMware Knowledge Base

Gbraier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you guys.

One more question please.

What about Upgrade the OS of App Volume manage server, DEM\UEM server, JMP server from Windows server 2012 to 2019?

There are  replica process solution that I can use also to upgrade the server OS of those servers?

Guy

0 Kudos
EricMonjoin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

DEM : Doesn't matter it's only SMB share

App Volumes : Same procedure as Horizon

For JMP, forget itSmiley Happy

Eric