VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Upgrading While Upgrading??

Need to go from Horizon 7.4 to 7.5 to correct a BUG they discovered and was curious if it would be best to Upgrade all my connection servers and composer server to Server 2016 at the same time.  Or should i do this at a different time??  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

P.

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
5 Replies
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Super6VCA my $.02 would be to complete the 7.4 to 7.5 upgrade first as doing the Windows 2016 upgrade could introduce additional changes and complexities to the process.

However, if you do decide to upgrade to 2016 I'd highly recommend good snapshots of the servers just to be on the safe side and I would do the Windows upgrade first.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Joe,

Thanks for the input.  A snapshot is always a good plan when upgrading in my book.  My thoughts were to introduce a couple new replica servers (2016 flavor) and then remove the 2008 R2 servers after things were stable.  Bad plan or not ??  and as always, snapshots will be taken.  Thanks

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's not a bad idea to have new 2016 Replicas in the environment and then once stable pull the 2008 R2 servers. Then a bit more stability tests before upgrading the Standard 2008 R2 server to 2016, that way your replicas are already 2016 servers.

Is that kind of what you were thinking?

Joe

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Exactly!  In the past when there were issues and i need vmware support all they did was uninstall the connection servers and reinstall.  So that's where i got the idea from.  The only issue that i face is that a lot of my hospital clients have the main connection server IP setup so i have to remember to change the IP one i remove the old one. 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

With this idea in mind, is it an issue to have a mix of 2016 and 2008 R2 servers in the environment??

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos