VMware Horizon Community
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading View Connection Server to 4.6

My VM View Connection server currently running 4.5 and I wanted to upgrade it to 4.6.  90% of my end users have the 4.5 agent and 4.5 client.  Would I need to upgrade them first before upgrading the connection server to 4.6?  I want to have the 4.6 available to download for local users but I am afraid if I upgrade the connection server to 4.6 that the 4.5 users wont be able to connect.  From everything I have read from VM Ware it should be possible.  I was wondering if anyone experienced any problems doing this upgrade?

Thanks!

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Connection brokers, security server, and maybe composer.  I can't remember if there is a different version for 4.6 off the top of my head. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Everything should continue to work fine as long as you upgrade all of the backend infrastructure.   I waited a couple of days before I upgraded agents and clients in my environment and had no reported issues.

If your using linked clones you will want to update the parent image and push it back out instead of trying to update individual clones.   Of course full desktops will have to be updated one at a time or you will have to use some sort of delivery method to upgrade them.

0 Kudos
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What back end items need to be upgraded?  I was just going to run the 4.6 update on my connection server, reboot it, and that should be it right?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Connection brokers, security server, and maybe composer.  I can't remember if there is a different version for 4.6 off the top of my head. 

0 Kudos
uday_s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade View composer if you are upgrading to vSphere 4.1

Refer the View Component Compatibility Matrix in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-46-upgrades.pdf

royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done this recently and I agree with the above.

Upgrade Connection Server,Sec Server, Replicas ( if you have them ) and all should be good to go.

Agent 4.5 should be ok for a little bit while backend is being upgraded.