VMware Horizon Community
jseide86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgraded to Horizon 7.3, pools no longer provision new VMs

Hello

As the title says, I've just upgraded my environment to Horizon 7.3 and now my pools are no longer creating new VMs. At all.

I've even created a new pool with a new template, but nothing is happening and there are no errors thrown anywhere. I've checked the view administrators, the connection servers and the view composer for logs and windows event log, but there is no trace as to where the process is stopping.

Environment details:

View Connection Servers: 7.3.0 build-6571861

View Composer: 7.3.0 build-6517251

vCenter: 6.5.0 build-5973321 (6.5u1)

ESXi: 6.5.0 build-5969303 (6.5u1) - still have a few hosts on ESXi 6.5.0 build-5310538 (6.5d) as well, but only in certain clusters and I've tested pool deployment in both pure 6.5u1 clusters and "mixed" clusters. It makes no difference.

Cloud Pod Federation is up and running, I've got 2+2 connection servers with 12 hosts in each pod.

The mentioned pools are Full Clones, so no Linked or Instant clones to complexify this scenario.

I still have snapshots of my horizon components on 7.2.0 so a rollback is possible, but I'd very much like to resolve this as 7.3 seems like a good release on paper.

Does anyone have a clue to where I should start digging? Have anyone seen this before? I'm a bit lost right now, but I though I'd swing by VMTN and post before I launch an SR with VMware.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jseide86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey all.

I got an email from VMware Support through my support request that a bug has been identified in Horizon 7.3 and that the download has been temporarily removed from the website. An updated release will be available soon.

The bug is an issue that's rooted in communication problems between vCenter and Connection Server where CA signed root certificates are deployed. VMware self-signed certificates should work fine, although I did not get confirmation on this.

I also got instructions on how to work around the issue. See the following steps:

1. On the Connection Server VM/machine, remove the CA signed root certificate from the Trusted Root Certificates Store.
  2. Restart the Connection Server service
  3. Login to Horizon Administrator and manually accept the vCenter [and Composer] certificate thumbprint.

Provisioning should start working again as normal.

Note that Connection Servers will appear with Red status in the dashboard, listing the error "Server's certificate is not trusted". This is harmless and will not impact the system.

Note that if your server(s) receive root certificates via GPO, you'd either need to make an exception for your servers to avoid the root cert, or repeat the procedure of deleting and restarting each time a policy update/push takes place.

Note that if you're not comfortable with the work around you'll need to roll back to Horizon 7.2 (or whatever your previous version is)

I hope this helps some of you. It helped me get my environment back on track.

(BTW, Magneet​​, for next time if you ever encounter problems with the installer again: the installer bug can be worked around also by doing an install via command line. Google for "Connection Server silent install" and utilise the triggers to make the install happen without the GUI and prompts.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
jseide86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I posted this thread on Reddit as well and got a few replies, but nothing conclusive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/71xu7r/upgraded_to_horizon_73_pools_no_longer_provision/

0 Kudos
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I've seen a similar issue in Horizon 6.2, but it did not occur after an upgrade. I opened a case with VMware support and after some troubleshooting they concluded it was an issue with VC Cache.

The recommendation was made to

1. Shutdown all Connection servers in the pod.
  2. Shutdown Composer.
  3. Restart vCenter
  4. Bring back up Composer. (Wait until you see the log in screen)
  5. Power on one connection server at a time.

Looking at your Reddit post you already did something similar and it did not resolve your issue.

Do you see any errors oin the View Admin console?

I have upgraded both my home lab and Production Horizon 7 environment at my work and have not seen the issue you describe. We are using all Instant Clones in our Horizon 7 environment. We are getting ready to move our user from our Horizon 6.2 environment to our Horizon 7.3 environment.

Restart order of the View environment to clear ADLDS (ADAM) synchronization in Horizon View (2068381...

alexf85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same issue, tried the shutdown->booting all servers in correct order, tried reinstall connection/security/composer servers including brand new setup of view-database and pools etc - nothing helped.

Had to reinstall my vcenter 6.5 to get my view-environment working again after 7.3 upgrade.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The same happened to me. After a restart of everything, provisioning was working again.

0 Kudos
uday_s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is this issue seen with particular type of Pools?

0 Kudos
jseide86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

jeffrobinson85

I followed this exact procedure, but it did not help for my environment. The environment stands still, just like before.

Thank you for your input, though.

Do you see any errors oin the View Admin console?

No, no errors at all.

alexf85

Had to reinstall my vcenter 6.5 to get my view-environment working again after 7.3 upgrade.

I really hope I don't have to do this :smileyconfused:

uday s

Is this issue seen with particular type of Pools?

The pools I'm testing with are Full Clone pools, two of them right now in different clusters.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi all, sorry you've encountered this issue.  On behalf of Horizon 7 team, I wanted to let you know that engineering is working on rootcausing and resolving the issue.  We will provide an update as soon as we can. 

Thanks!

-Angela Ge, Horizon 7 Product Management

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon
Akrietsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ran into this problem as well in our test environment (before stumbling on to this discussion). I guess it is a bit more wide spread. The upgrade itself went perfectly smooth, but provisioning is taking a nap. I will open a case with VMware.

0 Kudos
krowczynski1980
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi.

so if such a problem exists, VMware should revoke the download of Horizon View 7.3!
Is there an active KB-Article that is describing the problem?

0 Kudos
elyasme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Is there already some more information available regarding this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Magneet
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware has pulled 7.3 from the downloads. No official communication yet but we can safely asume this is one of the reasons + the bug in the installer. This problem has been reproduced in both new installations and upgrades.

0 Kudos
jseide86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey all.

I got an email from VMware Support through my support request that a bug has been identified in Horizon 7.3 and that the download has been temporarily removed from the website. An updated release will be available soon.

The bug is an issue that's rooted in communication problems between vCenter and Connection Server where CA signed root certificates are deployed. VMware self-signed certificates should work fine, although I did not get confirmation on this.

I also got instructions on how to work around the issue. See the following steps:

1. On the Connection Server VM/machine, remove the CA signed root certificate from the Trusted Root Certificates Store.
  2. Restart the Connection Server service
  3. Login to Horizon Administrator and manually accept the vCenter [and Composer] certificate thumbprint.

Provisioning should start working again as normal.

Note that Connection Servers will appear with Red status in the dashboard, listing the error "Server's certificate is not trusted". This is harmless and will not impact the system.

Note that if your server(s) receive root certificates via GPO, you'd either need to make an exception for your servers to avoid the root cert, or repeat the procedure of deleting and restarting each time a policy update/push takes place.

Note that if you're not comfortable with the work around you'll need to roll back to Horizon 7.2 (or whatever your previous version is)

I hope this helps some of you. It helped me get my environment back on track.

(BTW, Magneet​​, for next time if you ever encounter problems with the installer again: the installer bug can be worked around also by doing an install via command line. Google for "Connection Server silent install" and utilise the triggers to make the install happen without the GUI and prompts.)

0 Kudos
Magneet
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

or enable CEIP first then it also works Smiley Happy

angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you an update on this issue that has impacted some users of Horizon 7.3. While we work on the fix, we have temporarily removed Horizon 7.3 from the product download page. We are working to resolve the issue and expect the solution to be available on October 5, 2017. Thank you for your patience.

-Angela Ge, Horizon Product Management

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon