VMware Horizon Community
SnoBoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded client OS to WIndows 8.1 - Minimize, Maximize and Close Buttons Missing

This one is a bit weird. It happens on my client, whether run from the View client on a PC or from a zero client - Windows Explorer, IE, and Administrative Tools windows have no visible minimize, maximize or close buttons, although hovering over where they should be in the upper right-hand corner of the window frame brings up the name of the button for that position and clicking where the button should be visible performs the function of that button's location. I have tried other themes, like high contrast, and they are still not visible.

I have searched on  Google for the problem, but haven't seen anyone else with the issue (yet). MS Office applications and most other applications show the buttons normally. I have attached a screen shot of the corner of one of the windows for reference.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bwood354
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the same exact problem with my Windows 8.1 VM.  If you click the location where the buttons should be, it still works like they are there.  Someone else mentioned it was an issue with the version of VMware Tools installed on the VM.  I opened Device Manager on the VM and then uninstalled the VMware Display Adaptor, including the software for the driver.  After doing that, I scanned for hardware changes and it reinstalled the display adaptor using a windows driver. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure if that is the reason but Windows 8.1 is not yet supported as far as I know.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
SnoBoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So shall we call this the first report of a bug for those charged with making it work? 🙂

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi

just want to clarify a few things with you;

you are running win8.1 on your client machine, and then using the windows client to connect to a View desktop. What is your guest OS?

Is it the apps in the view desktop that don't show the minimise/sizing icons, or apps on your local client?

Since you mention using a zero client, I suspect you are running 8.1 in your guest VM and its the icons in there that are missing?

can you confirm?

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
HIsgett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

According to several VMware blogs, the 5.3 version that is soon to be released, supports 8.1 as a client and a virtual desktops.

Read all about it: VMware® Horizon View™ 5.3 | VMware End-User Computing Blog - VMware Blogs

0 Kudos
SnoBoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The hosts that I have used to connect to the VM desktop have been a zero client (Wyse PxN), Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. The guest OS on the VM desktop is Windows 8.1. The problem started when the guest OS on the VM desktop was upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.

Please understand that I am an IT admin and am testing stuff on myself before releasing it from the test environment. It will be interesting to test View 5.3 when it comes out. We shall see.

0 Kudos
SnoBoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh, and the missing buttons are on the guest OS, not the host. The host operates normally.

0 Kudos
bwilsor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've run into this as well on a fresh install of 8.1.  As soon as the VMTools were installed the buttons disappeared from all the windows.

0 Kudos
SanyoFitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the EXACT problem.

an ESXi 5.5 host and its' version of VMware Tools, fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
SnoBoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FWIW, according to VMware I *do* have the latest VMware tools. I have my VDI set to check on every login. No joy.

0 Kudos
SanyoFitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea. But is the ESXi Host v5.5?

I have tested and can  confirm that Windows 8.1 RTM and ESXi 5.5 fixes the Minimize/Maximize problem and View (latest current version) Reaps the Benefit.

0 Kudos
VirT3ck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try installing the software from this link;

https://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/5.1latest/windows/index.html

0 Kudos
SnoBoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is the version of VMware Tools already installed on the VM. A reinstall did not fix the problem..

0 Kudos
SanyoFitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Untitled-1.png

0 Kudos
VirT3ck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sanyo,

I am unable to get my hands on that version. Can you perhaps upload the windows.iso from your ESXi host somewhere?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
bwood354
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the same exact problem with my Windows 8.1 VM.  If you click the location where the buttons should be, it still works like they are there.  Someone else mentioned it was an issue with the version of VMware Tools installed on the VM.  I opened Device Manager on the VM and then uninstalled the VMware Display Adaptor, including the software for the driver.  After doing that, I scanned for hardware changes and it reinstalled the display adaptor using a windows driver. 

0 Kudos
SnoBoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked. Thanks a bunch for that suggestion!

0 Kudos