VMware Horizon Community
bretttenney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade of VMware Tools and reinstallation of agent

I am currently running View 5.1 and the tools have been upgraded on dedicated full VMs.  I have read in the past, a reinstallation of the agent is needed. Is this still true today?  If so, can somebody please give me some details on the issue and maybe some supporting documentation? It hasn't seemed to affect PCoIP connections from what I can tell.

If a reinstallation IS needed, would upgrading the agent to 5.2 before upgrading the connection servers cause issues?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

The issue was primarily due to the display drivers installed by both tools and View agent. Older tools (and agent) versions would always replace the drivers, potentially causing a mismatch with the rest of the View agent - which needed matching drivers for PCoIP sessions to work.

It hasn't seemed to affect PCoIP connections from what I can tell.

If that's the case, you should be fine to leave your VMs alone - if the upgrade had broken something you'd know about it. I _think_ that the version of tools included with ESXi 5.1 and onwards has had the installer fixed, but I don't have the specifics.

bretttenney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for you reply. Appreciate it.

0 Kudos