VMware Horizon Community
Techstarts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Upgrade from 7.1 to 7.11

Hi

I know there is guide available for this.

Would anyone share their upgrade experience from Horizon 7.1 to Horizon 7.x (to be compatible with HTML5)

we have simple environment 

2 x security server

3 x view connections

I was wondering if some share some steps on how to proceed?

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This should be a pretty straight forward task.

1. plan for a maintenance window
  2. verify compatibility with the event database server version
  3. prepare your golden images with the new agent version.
  4. disable provisioning
  5. upgrade Composer (if one exists)
  6. upgrade the connection, and security servers by following the steps in Upgrade Security Servers and Their Paired Connection Servers
  7. enable provisioning

I assume that you have a backup, and documentation for the settings in case something goes wrong.

I have two questions, if you don't mind:

1. Why do you plan to upgrade to 7.11 instead of 7.13? Version 7.13 not only has longer support (10/22 instead of 03/21 for v7.11, see https://lifecycle.vmware.com/), but also includes Instant Clones in all editions, which may be helpful in case you have the Standard edition licensed.
  2. Any reason why you don't switch to UAG instead of using Security Server?

Note that both, Security Server as well as Linked Clones are deprecated, and will not be available future versions anymore.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This should be a pretty straight forward task.

1. plan for a maintenance window
  2. verify compatibility with the event database server version
  3. prepare your golden images with the new agent version.
  4. disable provisioning
  5. upgrade Composer (if one exists)
  6. upgrade the connection, and security servers by following the steps in Upgrade Security Servers and Their Paired Connection Servers
  7. enable provisioning

I assume that you have a backup, and documentation for the settings in case something goes wrong.

I have two questions, if you don't mind:

1. Why do you plan to upgrade to 7.11 instead of 7.13? Version 7.13 not only has longer support (10/22 instead of 03/21 for v7.11, see https://lifecycle.vmware.com/), but also includes Instant Clones in all editions, which may be helpful in case you have the Standard edition licensed.
  2. Any reason why you don't switch to UAG instead of using Security Server?

Note that both, Security Server as well as Linked Clones are deprecated, and will not be available future versions anymore.

André

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you Andre. We already have 7.11 environment in place. 

7.1 is actually planned for decommission. Only reason we are upgrading this is to able to migrate to our new environment. Of course, in this case we will miss security servers. But at least we can manage the provisioning of desktops till we migrate.

We are moving UAG with 7.11 and hence was my other question - https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Horizon-Desktops-and-Apps/UAG-Supported-Scenario/m-p/2814912#M9248...

After we declared our new environment to be production, VMware declared that you can have linked clone in standard license. So in short, we have standard license.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos