VMware Horizon Community
DarrenBull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade Connection Broker from 2003 to 2008

First off I'll just say my name is Sarah - I'm posting under our account for the business (I don't want to give Darren any bad credit!!)

I've been set a challenge to carry out our next VMWare View upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6, as well as this we want to migrate our main connection server in a replication group from the current Windows Server 2003 (Standard) to a new Windows Server 2008 R2 box.

The Windows Server 2008 server is currently sat spare, I'm going to build this first then add into the View environment - the main reason I'm posting is to figure out the best way of making this new server the standard instance of ADAM in our replication group, and the best order to do it!

• Do I first upgrade all the current connection broker(s) to 4.6, then install the new server as a replicate instance, then when its fully in sync am I able to change this to a standard instance and remove the old main connection broker?
  • Do I install the new server as a standard instance straight away - will the other connection server see this and replicate anyway?
  • or, Would the easiest thing be to first install 4.5 on my Windows 2008 box, join to my view environment then take it from here?

Apologies for lack of knowlegde in some area's, its all a learning curve for me and I've mounds of documentation to read through as well as everything online. I'm hoping to get this upgrade right first time on my own... Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Sarah

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the easiest method if to upgrade the environment to 4.6, add the new 2008 server to the 4.6 environment, and remove the 2003 server from the environment.    As usual always do your backups beforehand.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

check page 27 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-46-upgrades.pdf

“Upgrade to ViewConnection Server 4.6 on a Different Machine,”

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

also is good to read the release notes too: http://www.vmware.com/support/view46/doc/view-46-release-notes.html

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the easiest method if to upgrade the environment to 4.6, add the new 2008 server to the 4.6 environment, and remove the 2003 server from the environment.    As usual always do your backups beforehand.

0 Kudos
DarrenBull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found the right couple of pages now in the upgrade doc. I will take back ups before going ahead..

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

good luck 😃

0 Kudos
uttam_choudhary
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution