VMware Horizon Community
henrylaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unattended install of VMWare Horizon Client on Linux

I need to code an unattended install for the Horizon Client (VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle at time of writing) on a Linux client.  The only documentation I have found relates to doing that on a Windows platform.

I have looked at the --help; I see options like --set-setting=COMPONENT KEY VALUE but I can find no indication what these keys are and what effects their values might have. I have unpacked and examined vmware-installer.py but I don't speak Python and can't see how it might implement a scripted install.  I see a --regular option which will display questions that have "no good defaults" but I don't know which questions those are and in any case the defaults may not be what I want (I have a particular kiosk-like application for which I only want certain features of the client).

I have many machines to install and all the rest of the software is installed and configured with one script that I have written.  To move to attended installs for the View client would add hours of work and risk inconsistencies across machines.

Is there a way of doing this and if so where is it documented?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
henrylaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, I've done this another way by installing the "expect" command.  For anyone else who wants to try to do this, here's the expect file:

set timeout 60

spawn "VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x64.bundle" --eulas-agreed --console

expect -re "Smart Card" { send "no\r" }

expect -re "webcam or microphone" { send "no\r" }

expect -re "folder redirection" { send "no\r" }

expect -re "USB device redirection" { send "yes\r" }

expect -re "print drivers" { send "yes\r" }

expect -re "Press Enter to begin" { send "\r" }

expect -re "Horizon Client starts" { send "yes\r" }

expect -re "NOT collect any of your data" { send "no\r" }

interact

I feel that I shouldn't have had to do this, but there we are ...

0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey, the below KB and documentation guide could be of help to perform

The below KB and documentation guide could be of help to perform silent installation of the linix client.                                                                                          1)https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10198...

2)Using VMware Horizon Client for Linux : https://www.vmware.com/pdf/horizon-view/horizon-client-linux-document.pdf

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
henrylaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The KB is for the Windows client; my question relates specifically to the Linux client.

The documentation reference is more recent than the one I have; I'll have a look at it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos