VMware Horizon Community
waza5
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to remove orphaned replica VM from VCenter vSphere 5

Having trialed VMView 5, something happened where by when I tried to delete a Pool it got stuck at (deleting)

I eventually ended up having to add/remove and delete the database, this didn't remove the pool deleting problem

I have also uninstalled Composer from my VC.

I logged into the host directly and selected delete from disk, I thought this would have deleted the replica-xxxx-xxx-xx-xxx (orphaned)

When I log into VC I now have replica-xxxx-xxx-xx-xxx (orphaned) listed.

I tried the sviconfig command before removing composer, got error code 11

I have tried ssh into the host but this replica-xxxx-xxx-xx-xxx (orphaned) is not registered to any of my hosts

There is no VM called replica-xxxx-xxx-xx-xxx (orphaned) folder in the datastore

If somebody could tell me how to remove this from VC I would greatly appricate it, its currently preventing me from running updates on the host.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have moved this over to the VMware View Manager forum.    Is this the KB you tried? 

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008704

0 Kudos
waza5
Contributor
Contributor

Yes thats the KB, I will keep trying...

0 Kudos
waza5
Contributor
Contributor

This is the output I get after trying the sviconfig command,

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware View Composer>sviconfig -operation=unprotectentity -Vc
Url=https://crc-pri-vc01/sdk -Username=****** -Password=******* -InventoryPath=/my datacenter/replica-0635eb3f-f229-47ff-bbfb-5382d4af7fb7 -Recursive=true

WARNING: Unprotecting VC managed entities will allow operations
(power on, delete, migrate) that can cause existing linked clones connected
to those managed entities to fail to work correctly.
Establishing connection to the VC server.
VC server connection established successfully.
Looking for the entity on the VC server.
SviConfig finished with an error. Exit code: 11
Entity not found.

0 Kudos
waza5
Contributor
Contributor

I logged a call with VMware.

This was resolved by removing the host from the cluster that replica-xxxx-xxx-xx-xxxx (orphaned) was registered against in Virtual Center.

The orphaned item disappeared instantly.

Added the host back to the cluster, replica now gone.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for sharing the fix Waza.  I'm sure that is going to help someone who runs accross this thread in the future. 

0 Kudos
Cannoli
Contributor
Contributor

I was reading this post on the treadmill this morning on my iPhone's RSS feeds and didn't think twice about it... until I had a drive fail in my virtual HPC cluster that had three VM's on it.  After replacing the drive "orphaned" came up in VC.  This thread helped me resolve the problem in less then 30 seconds.  Thanks!!

0 Kudos
vCommunity
Contributor
Contributor

The suggested resolution is not going to work in home/lab environment for the following reason:

- To Remove the host from the vCenter, the host needs to be in the Maintenance Mode; however,

- To get into the maintenance mode, ALL VMs (including the vCenter VM) need to be powered down (since, in home/lab env. there is no secondary physical

esx host to vMotion vCenter to)

- Since the vCenter Server is running in a VM, it is not possible to remove the ESXi host from the vCenter.

Any other alternatives/suggestions?

0 Kudos