VMware Horizon Community
NickChap42
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install VMware Horizon (Installation Failed)

Hi All, apologies if this isn't the right area for posting this.

I've been trying to help a colleague get VMware (version 5.4.3 at first, but issue persists with other versions) installed on her Win10 PC. It was installed previously but she was experiencing a problem and we thought uninstalling + reinstalling might help. It was previously not listed in her appwiz.cpl so she uninstalled it from her Apps & Features menu (we think she installed from the Windows App store in the first instance, we need it installed from here). Now whenever she tries to install it the process stops halfway through with an Installation Failed error.

I've had a look around here at similar issues but none of the fixes seem to have helped so far (changing the permissions on the Hosts file was one of them, no improvement). I'm no expert on logs but this section seems to be relevant to the failed install:

[02C4:02BC][2020-08-28T16:43:31]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.

[3E54:066C][2020-08-28T16:43:31]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSI package.

[3E54:066C][2020-08-28T16:43:31]i319: Applied execute package: ViewClientx64, result: 0x80070643, restart: None

[3E54:066C][2020-08-28T16:43:31]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.

[3E54:066C][2020-08-28T16:43:31]i000: Bootstrapper_ExecutePackageBegin: Rolling back package ViewClientx64

I've attached the logs to this discussion, any assistance offered would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, when you execute the installation of the Horizon client are you right clicking on the Horizon client executable and selecting "run as administrator"?  What version of Windows 10 is the user running?  Before you reinstall the Horizon client, I recommend searching the registry for previous versions of the Horizon client and delete those reg keys. 

0 Kudos
NickChap42
Contributor
Contributor

Tried installing both as local user and as administrator, no improvement. Was able to re-install Horizon from the Win10 App Store and that works but the manual install still does not. We need the manual install because for some reason the App Store install does not always translate numerical input for some of our older systems.

I don't have the exact version of Win10 that is installed on the device but in Windows Updates there does not seem to be any further updates to install. My colleague is not very tech-savvy and had the device set up for her by family so it is possible something is set up in an unusual way but I haven't been able to find anything obviously out of sorts.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello Nick,

Quick question, when you run the install does it give you the option to repair? Please try to run the installation file for the Horizon Client that you removed from Apps & Features to see if the Repair option appears. If it appears then after the repair to an Uninstallation and then try to install the desired version.

0 Kudos
agong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Found error in log files

vdmInstUtil: 08/28/20 16:43:29 ERROR: Failed to open file: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts": 13

vdmInstUtil: 08/28/20 16:43:29 ERROR: Failed writing to file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts".

This most likely could happen if some other application is accessing the file. Can you confirm on this?

0 Kudos
surajr04
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please check if host file exist or not. If not create a host file ( Blank ) and try to install it.

0 Kudos
domdsouza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue as this post.

Horizon client - Install Failed

0 Kudos
karwaabhi
Contributor
Contributor

Serach for "windows feature" and enable the HyperV

0 Kudos