VMware Horizon Community
brokenarrow85
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install AppVolumes Manager: Error generating self signed certificate

Hello

I am trying to install AppVolumes Manager 4.0.1 on a Windows 2019 Server. I am receiving an error stating the following.

Error generating self signed certificate

See log/generate_cert.log for details

in the generate_cert.log the only error I see is the following...

#### Create log folders

#### Generating nginx server ssl certificate

rake aborted!

Errno::EACCES: Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/nginx/conf/appvol_self_vmware.com.key

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:72:in `initialize'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:72:in `open'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:72:in `save_certificate'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:37:in `generate'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/tasks/cert.rake:31:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rake-12.3.3/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'

Tasks: TOP => cert:generate_server_cert

(See full trace by running task with --trace)

I, [2020-05-13T10:08:30.043507 #6276]  INFO -- : Generating certificate for HostName: hostname.######.org

I, [2020-05-13T10:08:30.043652 #6276]  INFO -- : Issued to: /C=US/ST=California/L=Palo-alto/O=VMware Inc./CN=hostname.######.org/OU=AppVolumes

#### Generating powershell ssl certificate

rake aborted!

Errno::EACCES: Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/config/CVPowershell.key

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:72:in `initialize'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:72:in `open'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:72:in `save_certificate'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/certificate_generator.rb:37:in `generate'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/lib/tasks/cert.rake:54:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

C:/Program Files (x86)/CloudVolumes/Manager/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rake-12.3.3/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'

Tasks: TOP => cert:generate_powershell_cert

(See full trace by running task with --trace)

I, [2020-05-13T10:08:34.882653 #7044]  INFO -- : Generating certificate for HostName: hostname.######.org

I, [2020-05-13T10:08:34.882773 #7044]  INFO -- : Issued to: /C=US/ST=California/L=Palo-alto/O=VMware Inc./CN=hostname.######.org/OU=AppVolumes

(hostname.######.org was substituted for the actual hostname)

I am using a domain user in the host\administrators group on the local machine. I have tried launching it from an elevated command prompt with the same result

Any insight would be helpful

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try below steps and check if it helps:

> Take a snapshot of the AVM machine.

> Take a full backup of App Volumes SQL database if it is an existing upgrade.

> Uninstall app volumes manager software from control panel > programs and features.

> Delete directory C:\program files x86\Cloudvolumes .

> Delete below reg hive:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\CloudVolumes

> Reboot

> Reinstall app volumes manager. Point to the new DB if it is a fresh installation and use SQL authentication for database login.

NOTE:

For windows authentication login, computer account must be registered in Database > Login.

Doc covers this:

larstr
Champion
Champion

I'm facing the same problem. I've tried versions 2.16, 2.18.2 and 2.18.4 and 4.0 on Server 2019 so far.

I've deployed a clean 2019 directly from .iso, just to be sure it's totally clean.

Lars

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Update:

After being unable to install any versions of Appvolumes on Windows Server 2019 I decided to try Windows Server 2016. To my surprise I faced the exact same problems there, working my way backwards in versions. When I got to 2.13.3 it actually worked (2.13 will not install on 2019):

pastedImage_0.png

From that version I was able to upgrade to 2.18 and 4.0.1.

pastedImage_1.png

Haven't tried upgrading Windows Server from 2016 to 2019.

Lars

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Had to also try installing App Volumes 4.0.0 on Windows Server 2019. As we know from above, 4.0.1 failed to install. I can now confirm that also 4.0.0 fails with the same error:

pastedImage_0.png

Looks like some QA is missing here. I've spent too many hours on this already.

Lars

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Installed with embedded SQL Express database like this:

Lars

0 Kudos
oddjob1243
Contributor
Contributor

This is the solution that worked for me, with one change.

If you are using windows authentication to access an always on sql DB, it seems to fail every-time.

I changed to SQL authentication, gave proper permissions to the DB and the install completed successfully.

I should add, this is in reply to Shreyskar's first post. Thanks for the info!

jkpravinkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I know it is many months since the last post for this thread. But sharing the info for anyone who wants to use Windows Authentication, add the machine account (Ex: Domain\MachineName$) in which you are installing the App Volumes Manager to the AVM DB as DBO in addition to the AD Account to which you have already granted DBO permission. This should work.