VMware Horizon Community
dailyd0ffy
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to add ThinApp Repository

I am having issues adding a thinapp repository (CIFS), I get an error "Failed to access the network path"

I am trying to add it via FQDN and have tested connectivity to the share (CIFS) from the view server successfully. I believe I am trying to connect to the share via domain admin account (my own) as this is the account that is setup to connect to vcenter server.

Anyone experience similar issue? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try opening the permissions on the folder to everyone everything then if it works start working back the way on permissions untill it stops working.

Chris

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting

If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please
0 Kudos
dailyd0ffy
Contributor
Contributor

No luck - I already had it set to grant permission to everyone both ntfs & share permissions. I just tried setting it to something else and then back but still cannot get view to add it.

Smiley Sad

Amer

0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck resolving this? I'm having the same issue.

0 Kudos
dailyd0ffy
Contributor
Contributor

I've been working with support on this issue and it looks like CIFS is not supported currently! Smiley Sad

FYI - When adding a share from one of the Win servers that is part of the domain I have no problems.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for telling. Being always in the impression that CIFS will work as well. Did the support mention that it will be supported soon?

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

0 Kudos
pdarcy
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a solution to this? I cant believe CIFS isn't supported, I can get it to work with one CIFS server but the other which is configured the same doesn't work?

Patrick

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Login to the Connection server OS console.

Access the share path that you are planning to add as the repository.

Accessing that share from the View Connection Server OS should not prompt for authentication. If this is working It should be possible to add the repositoy using FQDN

0 Kudos
pdarcy
Contributor
Contributor

I have done all you have mentioned but I still cant get to the cifs share.

I have setup a standard windows share and I can connect to this?

0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

Seems to me that I was unable to add the directory unless it containes an .msi file.

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>> I have setup a standard windows share and I can connect to this?

This should defenitely work, but ensure security settings for the share directory (Does "everyone" has access to read/write /execute permissions )

0 Kudos
WallsWorld
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Any luck with this issue?  I have all permissions wide open and still cannot add the ThinApp repository...

0 Kudos
Scorpeus
Contributor
Contributor

niceed00 wrote:

Seems to me that I was unable to add the directory unless it containes an .msi file.

Perfection. This file check needs to be added as a *hint* or description, or listed in the requirements documentation. There is absolutely nothing out there that says you need an MSI file in there first before you can add the repository. How retarded is that?

Make a .txt file and rename it to .msi. Bam! Now you can add a repository.

0 Kudos
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware KB: View Manager cannot scan ThinApp repositories hosted on CIFS shares

thry this KB

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please
0 Kudos
HotstartJustin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know if this will solve your exact issue but this just solved my issue with not being able to add a ThinApp Repository.  Set the Share to "Everyone" Full, and set ntfs permissions for both Domain Users and Domain Computers to read & execute, list folder contents, & read.  I had previously forgotten to add Domain Computers. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Justin Allen
0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Wouldn't it suffice to add just the View connection server computer accounts, versus Domain Computers?

0 Kudos
HotstartJustin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That might let you add the repository to the VCB, but ultimately the desktops are going to need access to the repository.

Justin Allen
0 Kudos