VMware Horizon Community
RWTownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Enable Desktop Floating Pool

Hi,

I am working on upgrading to Horizon View 7.2.0.  I have created an "Automated Desktop Pool (Floating Linked Clone)".  When I go to the "STATUS" and use the drop down to "Enable Desktop Pool" I receive the error " [userid] failed to update Desktop [pool name] ".  I looked in the View Connection Logs and found the following error:

2017-06-22T23:31:02.871-04:00 ERROR (0A88-18AC) <pool-11-thread-5> [FaultUtil] InvalidArgument(parameter: desktopSettings.displayProtocolSettings.pcoipDisplaySettings.renderer3D): 3D rendering cannot be enabled when default protocol is RDP and users are not allowed to choose protocol.

In the Pool settings "3D Renderer" is Grayed Out and set to "disabled"

I did not have an issue Enabling the Pool configured like this in Version 6.2.0.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Have you tried to create the same pool after update?

0 Kudos
RWTownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alex_TSM,

Yes, i have recreated the pool more than once in View 7.20 enviorment, however not able to Enable or Disable (both Provisionsing and the pool itself) using the "STATUS" Dropdown or "right-clicking" Pool and selecting "Enable or Disable".  I am able to "EDIT" the pool and Enable or Disable the pool and the pool works fine.

Rick

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Love it or Hate it, View 7.0.3 and higher introduced "Health Checks" for lack of a better term. It isn't documented but what it does is prevent possible configurations from being enabled if it feels it is not possible to provision. It especially impacts vGPU configurations as it greys out most of the config causing confusion. I actually had an issue where I could not disable a pool because of the configuration.

Could you provide a screenshot of the Desktop Settings tab in pool settings?

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
RWTownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TechMassey,

I have attached a screen shot of my Pool, as I indicated above I am able to Enable and Disable the pool with the "EDIT" button, however if I use the "STATUS" Drop Down I receive an error.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_2.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey RWTownsend,

On the right of the screenshot is the pool settings, could you screenshot that for me? I'll need to see the entire column. Thanks!

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nevermind, I can see it correctly now. Reviewing.

0 Kudos
RWTownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TechMassey,

If you double-click on the image it should show you the full screen, let me know if it does not.

Thanks!,

Rick

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This was an interesting issue! I have good news and bad news.

I was able to duplicate it in my View 7.1 environment with the same error in the Connection Server logs. I also have a View 6.2 environment and as you mentioned, it has no issues enabling a pool with those settings.

Why is this happening? As I mentioned originally, VMware has implemented hidden "Health Checks" in 7.x that prevent certain pool configurations.

The good news with a small caveat is you can get around this issue.

Set the Pool Settings:

1. Default Protocol: RDP
  2. Allow users to choose protocol: Yes
  3. Set 3D Renderer: Disabled

It is true that a user could choose Blast protocol instead but that would be a manual setting on the client. By default they will use RDP.

I would also recommend submitting an online support ticket requesting a final answer from VMware. It might take a little bit because it will get escalated up at least 2 levels.

Hopefully this helps out!

0 Kudos
RWTownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TechMassey,

Thanks for checking and confirming the issue in 7.1 also.  I will look to open a ticket with VMWARE to see what they recommend on this issue.

Thanks Again!,

Rick

0 Kudos