VMware Horizon Community
Bgriffiths
Contributor
Contributor

USB redirection not working through view client.

HI All,

I'm trying to get USB devices to appear on VMs using windows based horizon clients.

When clicking "connect a usb device" I get the usual options but at the bottom is "USB redirection is not available on this desktop."

Now global policy and local variants of the desktops that I've tested both have USB redirection enabled from View administrator point of view so the desktops should have the ability to redirect.

Also when using HP thin clients it is possible to redirect USB devices, just seems to be an issue with Horizon View clients. (I have reinstalled the client just to make sure USB settings were correct.)

Any help would be fantastic!

11 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

Is it possible USB traffic isn't being side-channeled and you don't have port 32111 open?

See this doc for more information:

Network Traffic and USB Redirection

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if it work in thin client , this mean network have no issue , check your local PC , do you have antivirus or software that restricts the USB or multi-function devices such as McAfee, or Kaspersky , normally this would be your issue

0 Kudos
Bgriffiths
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry all I neglected to mention Mice and Keyboards have no trouble redirecting, i did try changing the TCP rules but still no changes.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

Not entirely true. The client can be using 32111 while the thinclient is encapsulating the traffic. This is directly from the doc I linked:

Note:

If you are using a zero client, USB traffic is redirected using a PCoIP virtual channel, rather than through TCP port 32111. Data is encapsulated and encrypted by the PCoIP Secure Gateway using TCP/UDP port 4172. If you are using only zero clients, it is not necessary to open TCP port 32111.

Bgriffiths
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry if i wasn't clear, I did try opening that port on the machines using view client and still the USB redirection fails with everything other than mice or keyboards, can confirm our TCs use PCoIP and do not have the same issue.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

Sorry, that was a followup to Hussam.

However: Can you describe the type of vmware agents installed and what versions? For instance, I know that UEM with Horizon smart policies unconfigured would cause USB redirection to not work in versions under 9.3.

Keyboard and Mouse aren't part of the USB redirection. Those devices are emulated through the main protocol.

Can you review your view client logs to see if you see any messages like this:

ARN <NodeManagerWatcher> [MessageFrameWork] SocketChannel: Unable to connect to 192.168.1.12:32111

INFO <NodeManagerWatcher> [wswc_ui] Revert to connecting client to agent via virtual channel support

MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen this behavior if a VM is cloned from a baseline and then re-named (or just renamed).  View creates certificates in the Computer "store" that are tied to machine names.  If you have multiple certs with multiple machine names, they can be deleted and the correct cert(s) will be recreated upon a reboot.

Here's a link to the KB:  VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
LiorAmada
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

I'm having the same problem

Win 10 Build 1809

Agent 7.7

Uem 9.6

i deleted the Vmware  Cer from the store on the golden image

i recomposed the pool. and still i can see 2 cer, one of the golden image and the second the VM itself

THE PROBLEM DIDN'T SOLVED

Any Idea ?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Where TCP 32111 needs to be allowed depends on your architecture.

• Are the Horizon Clients pointing to a Security Server/UAG or direct to a connection server?
  • Is the secure gateway enabled on the connection servers?
0 Kudos
LiorAmada
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

we are not using security servers or UAG

something is string,if we are  disconnecting from the client and connecting back the USB is available...

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you choose USB redirection when installing View agent?

0 Kudos