VMware Horizon Community
panagari
Contributor
Contributor

USB re-direction without prompting for admin password?

We are currently in process of deploying the view client as part of our base image for our mac deployment for the education site I work at.

But during our compatibility testing phase we found that USB re-direction requires a user with administrator rights for it to work. This is a deal breaker when dealing with younger students with limited accounts on the network / workstation. Is there anyway to enable usb re-direction without making the user enter a admin username / account to enable usb redirection. The windows version of the software has no such limitation.

We would love to roll this software out to replace our dual boot installations but at this time its just not possible. Any one out there care to help?

The target system is a iMac with OSX 10.6.8 fully patched to the latest software updates.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you need to enter the admin creds just once when you first enable usb redirection functionality.  once that is done then it will work in the future with a non admin user. reason is that when you click the button to enable usb, it needs to register system services, and it needs the admin credentials to do that...

i dont know if that can be done once on your base image, and then pushed out to others - that is not something I have ever tried..

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was also just running into this exact issue.  I disagree with Peter though, as I have logged in as an Admin and enabled USB redirection, then logged in as a non-admin and still get the password prompt for USB redirection.  I am running version 2.2 of the client on OSX.  Would be great if this was fixed as panagari mentioned above, as we also cannot allow admin access on our Macs either.  If anyone knows a workaround it would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

hi - sorry, let me clarify.

If you create a new (non admin) user, then the admin creds will be needed the first time to enable the usb and printing services.

That new user can log off, and log back on again, and the admin creds will no longer be needed.

This I can understand might be a little frustrating as the admin will need to "visit" every machine to enable usb. but, it does mean that you do not need to enter admin creds all of the time once that has been done once.

Is this a big problem for you? - Id be interested to hear your comments,

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, this is an issue for us as we can't allow admin access on our Macs running view.  People still do use USB drives so making the USB drive available in View is needed. Do you know of any possible work around besides having an admin go the machine for that user?  Maybe the default profile on the mac can be modified to remember this is allowed?  Or is there a config file for this setting somewhere?

Thanks

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

...leave it with me, and I will try and find out if we can do something here. I understand your problem.

Unfortunately though, I don't think i will be able to come back with an immediate solution for you - but let's see.

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

view admin console>policies>Global policies> usb access is set to allowed? and this is still prompting for an admin password?

virtual desktop users are local admins or not?

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, that is set to allowed in global policies and it still prompts for a password in OSX.  Users are not admins on the local OSX machine nor are they admins on the View desktop they are connecting to, which is windows 7.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

When the prompt will be shown?  If it is shown when you click the "start remote desktop service", I am afraid that the USB service was failed to be installed.

Would you please login mac OS as the administrator, and check if USB service is enabled successfully or not.

Thanks!

Yonghui

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In addition,

If the prompt is shown once you open the view client and the USB service is installed successfully, please just ignore this unexpected prompt since USB service will work well without admin Creds, and we will improve this behavior.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos