VMware Horizon Community
NOEH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

USB check scanner not working from zero client

I have installed an Epson TM-S1000 check scanner which is working properly from a linked clone if the device is attached directly to the ESX host and attached to the virtual desktop via vSphere, but does not work if plugged into the zero client.  I have tried a variety of steps to resolve this without any results.  This is confusing as I do not understand why the OS (Win 7) would see these any differently based on where the USB is connected.  Windows recognizes the device when it is attached via the client but it doesn't function correctly.  I have opened a ticket with Teradici as well.

At the root, why would the OS react differently to a USB device attached to host versus zero client; and what can I do to correct it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi there

can you confirm which version of view agent you are connecting to?

we have seen several issues with Epson devices (including this specific check scanner). Problem is actually in the epson driver themselves and it starts up in a sequence that doesnt conform to usb spec. As a result it doesnt get redirected properly and actually ends up in a stuck state.

HOWEVER, good news is that there is a registry key that you can set that should make it work;

on the agent vm set the following key:

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\USB\Vid_04b8&Pid_0202\DeviceFlags = DWORD: 0x1000

please note, Im pretty sure the Vid/Pid of the TM-S1000 is Vid=04b8  Pid=0202  but please check that, and replace with the correct vid pid for your device if its different;

Please see VMware KB: Epson printers become unresponsive in VMware Horizon View   for more details;

I believe this registry key (workaround) is available in View Agents v5.2.1 and later.

cheers

peterB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi there

can you confirm which version of view agent you are connecting to?

we have seen several issues with Epson devices (including this specific check scanner). Problem is actually in the epson driver themselves and it starts up in a sequence that doesnt conform to usb spec. As a result it doesnt get redirected properly and actually ends up in a stuck state.

HOWEVER, good news is that there is a registry key that you can set that should make it work;

on the agent vm set the following key:

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\USB\Vid_04b8&Pid_0202\DeviceFlags = DWORD: 0x1000

please note, Im pretty sure the Vid/Pid of the TM-S1000 is Vid=04b8  Pid=0202  but please check that, and replace with the correct vid pid for your device if its different;

Please see VMware KB: Epson printers become unresponsive in VMware Horizon View   for more details;

I believe this registry key (workaround) is available in View Agents v5.2.1 and later.

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
NOEH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was it!  Thank you so much! 

0 Kudos