VMware Horizon Community
EricConley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB Timeout

I am testing the HP t5740 Thin Client with a USB Dymo label printer connected for use as a kiosk running a virtual machine with the label printer being passed through to the virtual machine. In the future we will be deploying a simlar setup on a large scale (assuming we can get all the kinks worked out) but for now we are testing it in a very simple setup.

The issue that we are having is that since the machine sits for long periods of time without being used (12+ hours at a time) at some point the virtual machine loses it's connection with the label printer and we have to reconnect the USB device. Kind of a small annoyance but it will be a much larger issue when/if we start to roll out this set up on a larger scale.

The HP t5740 is running Windows Embedded with VMWare View 4.0. I have turned off all power saving settings on both the local machine and the virtual machine and told both of the machines never to turn off the USB hubs to save power in the device manager with no joy.

Not really sure what to try next, or if it is a VMWare or HP issue. HP said they would look into it for me but I thought I would also seek advice here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Does the VDI session itself ever time out?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
EricConley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, we are using the PCoIP protocol so we do not have VMWare sessions timing out. Originally we did have that issue because we were using the RDP protocol but when we switch to PCoIP that went away. All that is happening is the USB device is losing it's connection to the virtual machine and we have to reconnect it on the VMWare toolbar at the top of the screen.

0 Kudos
bgravesen
Contributor
Contributor

Having the exact same issue, but with USB thumb drives. We'll be curious to know what ends up happening here. We are on View 4.5 using HP t5740 with Windows 7 guest OS. Just additional notes, our View Connection server is running 2008 R2, Vcenter box is 2008 regular.

0 Kudos
EricConley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Submitted a request to HP and they determined that this is a limitation of the current versions of the Windows Embedded Operating System.  Hopefully in a future update Microsoft will be fixing this.

0 Kudos