VMware Horizon Community
stoute
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB Smart card redirection not working

I'm running VMWare view 5.3.4-2581701 and have a user that needs the smart card in there view desktop.

On the old thin client windows 7 32bit I installed the driver and put the registery entry HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\USB\AllowSmartcards to TRUE

every thing works fine

Now i replaced the thin client for a new model HP t620 windows 8 64bit I installed the driver for reader and added the registy entry HKLM\Software\Wow6432node\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\USB\AllowSmartcards to TRUE

But when i login to the desktop the smart card is not avalible for redirection. is there something else i need to do?

Het bericht is bewerkt door: stoute

0 Kudos
3 Replies
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have a shared smart card redirection layer that is supposed to be used instead of USB device redirection.  If you install the "PCoIP Smart Card" subcomponent of the View Agent installer, smart card redirection should automatically work.  Note that you won't see the device in Device Manager because it's using API redirection and not actual device redirection.

0 Kudos
chengs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you'd like to use Smart Card device via USB redirection, you can get a vdm_client.adm GPO template from official build download page, then add it to your client PC, then set Allow Smart Card as true.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes this is available but it is not preferred.  The preferred route is definitely shared smart card redirection, not USB; this route avoids any issues that occur when you try to unplug a smart card reader from a client machine (e.g. client machine's smart card removal policy triggering or the client OS not wanting to give up the smart card reader).  But if you do decide to go the USB route, it is very important to know that it will not work if you have the smart card redirection feature installed in the View Agent.  So basically there are two options:

- (Recommended) Install smart card redirection feature in View Agent and use shared smart card redirection feature on client (automatically enabled on client, nothing to enable).

- (Not recommended) Do not install smart card redirection feature in View Agent and use the USB redirection feature on the client to redirect the smart card.

0 Kudos