VMware Horizon Community
reto44
Contributor
Contributor

USB Redirection

Hello,

we have Ubuntu Linux with VMware View Client, it works great - thank you!

It would be great, if we can redirect USB devices to the virtual desktop.

I have found an option --usb on /usr/bin/vmware-view.bin, how can i use it to redirect all usb devices (except mouse and keyboard)?

Thanks for help.

Regards

Reto

0 Kudos
12 Replies
gelaslean
Contributor
Contributor

The executable needed to use USB redirection (vmware-view-usb) is missing from Ubuntu package. I don't know if it is an error from Vmware or it's a technical/commercial choice.

I just succeeded to have USB redirection working (Bluetooth redirection also!) using a version of that executables found somewhere else on the net (a major thin client manufacturer site) AND using vmware-view under sudo. I am using Ubuntu 11.10 on a EEE-PC 901.

LG

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please have a look followings link..

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Reto,

We didn't include the USB component because we wanted a clean installation process. Using the USB component requires jumping through a few hoops in terms of permissions, potential kernel re-compiles etc.

0 Kudos
glaffoon
Contributor
Contributor

bchongvmware,

Is there plans to release a version that will allow users the option of USB redirection in the future?  Adding the Linux client was a welcome step, but I'm not able to utilize the client until I could support USB redirection with my client base.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
bretttenney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No USB redirection makes this client useless for me.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We are planning to release a version that will include USB redirection. This will be available at the end of the year if things go well.

reto44
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

it would be nice, if you can provide us a beta version with the USB redirection 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Reto

0 Kudos
cunejake
Contributor
Contributor

I would love to see a version with USB redirection.  The sooner the better.

0 Kudos
Feddar
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

is there some update on this? Some beta release? Thanks!

0 Kudos
rs990
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any update on this at all?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We are working with Canonical to enable USB redirection on the Ubuntu Software Center version of the View client.

This can be somewhat complicated because a couple of services need to be started before launching the View client, and then shut down after the client exits.

0 Kudos
cunejake
Contributor
Contributor

It's great to see an update from VMware on this thread.  Thank you and please continue to post updates here if any news becomes available regarding this topic.

Jake

0 Kudos