VMware Horizon Community
john_f2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB Redirection not working

I have a Windows 8.1 laptop where USB Redirection isn't working when logging in using Horizon View Client. I have tried 3.3, 3.2, 3.0 and even 2.3.3 of Horizon View Client on the laptop. The first time I installed 3.2 USB Redirection was available, however once I reconnected it wasn't working.

We are using View Agent 5.3 on our virtual machines.

I have tested a laptop with Windows 7, View Client 3.3 and USB Redirection works. I also used another laptop with Windows 8.1 and View Client 3.3 and USB Redirection works on it.

Is there a setting on the laptop and I'm missing that could be left even though I uninstall the View Client? I have made sure UAC is turned off. I also turned off the firewall to see if that was causing any issues. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

can you confirm what specific agent version you have installed? I suspect you may need to upgrade to 5.3.4 to pick up the latest security fixes (for poodle), which may cause usb authentication to stop working if you have picked up the microsoft security updates.

this is a total guess, based on not looking at logs, so I might be incorrect. but can you start by confirming the agent version and we can go from there?

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
john_f2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Agent version is 5.3.0.1427931.

I have used 3 different laptops and connected to the same virtual machine where USB Redirection works fine. Once I got back to the Windows 8.1 laptop, USB Redirection is no longer working on that same virtual machine. I'm assuming it is something on the laptop but I can't think of what. I've tried 4 different versions of the Horizon View client on the Windows 8.1 machine and only 1 time did USB Redirection work. Once I reconnected it was no longer working and hasn't worked since then.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

well, i wonder if the problem is related to microsoft changes that may have been pushed to the win8 client (or the desktop) around SSLv3 and the poodle patch.  KB2992611

im totally guessing here, and really next steps would be to look at logs. but if it was the poodle issue, then the approach would be to either not install the KB as above (which isn't really recommended from a security perspective) or better to upgrade the agent to 5.3.4.

but, if you don't want/can't do either right now, then we would need to see debug logs from client and agent to understand the exact failure. (the solution might still be the same, but at least you would know for sure.)

for reference, we did see a similar "wierd" connection issue that worked from some clients and not others, and that turned out to be the above issue. see Re: USB redirection not working, port 32111 connection refused

cheers

peterB

0 Kudos
john_f2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think we are going to try View Agent 6.1 and see if it works.

I did remove that KB you mentioned and that didn't help either. I'll see how 6.1 works out. Thanks.

0 Kudos
john_f2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We updated to the 6.1.0.2509441 version of View Agent. The Windows 8.1 laptop still isn't working for USB Redirection. I used another Windows 8.1 laptop and USB Redirection is working fine. Both are using 3.3.0 for the Horizon View Client.

0 Kudos
john_f2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So finally found the fix. We gave Users group Full access to C:\ProgramData folder. USB Redirection is working now.

0 Kudos