VMware Horizon Community
dmadilicutty
Contributor
Contributor

USB Redirection is slow (takes 5-12 Min to show)

This is a long post... don't get bored reading it.  :smileylaugh:

Summary - Using any master image, using any pool, using any OS (XP or WIN7), using any protocol, using any connection, using any USB thumb, pen, flash drive... The result is the same.  The USB drive takes up to 12 minutes to show up in the "MY COMPUTER" area...  I have done the following:

This problem occured after upgrading the Virtual Hardware  8 and updated to VIEW 5.0 from 4.6

Troubleshooting steps thus far (as of 2/02/12)

Ttroubleshooting steps…. Week 16th of Jan

•     Uninstalled anti-virus from the host and guest…no luck

•     Tried repairing the install of the view agent…. No luck

•     Tried uninstalling the view agent on a persistent… tried the usb drive… no luck

•     Tried connecting via NO SSL to the broker…. No difference

•     Tried connecting via RDP protocol…. Same outcome

•     Tried to connect outside our LAN/WAN to connect to a different broker… no difference.

•     Tried a lesser version of the view client… went down to 4.6 and tried that…. No difference….

•     USB redirection takes 5-12 min to show up depending on lan/wan connection.

•     Tried this - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102283...

•     Tried formatting to NTFS on the thumb.. no luck

•     Tried Uninstalling VMware USB redirection stuff from within a persistent desktop..no luck

•     Tried different physical workstations on different pools… no luck

•     Tried different USB drives… no luck

•     Tried USB drives with no data on them… no luck

1.  Created a ticket with VMware Support Request 121393633XX  on Monday 1/31/12 These are the steps they told me to do…

2.  All of the above

3.  Send logs to them on the FTP site (Agent, CB, and Client) Logs-  They didn’t find anything in the logs (who didn’t know that was going to happen)

4.  Verified again that different USB drives all act the same, no matter  NTFS, FAT32, or FAT

5.  On persistent pool, uninstalled Symantec (again) and this time turned off all services except windows services and vm services – (a clean boot) – No change 3 min 56 sec to have the device show

6.  Created a new WIN7 32 OEM Master, only VMtools and VMAgent installed only.   .  Created a persistent pool of 2..  Logged in… YUCK… NO Change 4 min to have the device show.

7.  Created a new WIN XP SP3 OEM Master, only VMTools and VMAgent installed only. Created a persistent pool of 2…  Loggin… inserted USB (256 meg one from the 80’s)  took 6 minutes…..

8.  OS agnostic…

9.  The host PC in all above cases were the same… Also connected to an XP PC that has never been on our domain, never had antivirus,  and connected to an outside wifi connection… same results occur in all pools listed above.

10.Created a new user and place him in the Blocked Inheritance group… so no USER policies are applied….

Started again to look through PCOIP logs, agent, and client logs.  Looked also in event logs under system and noticed a LANMANService was timing out the same time I plugged in the USB – Found this in google world…

1. Click the Start button, type regedit, and hit Enter.
2. In the Registry Editor, click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.
3. In the details pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry, right-click that entry and then select Modify.

Note: If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it by selecting New on the Edit menu, followed by the DWORD Value, then typing ServicesPipeTimeout, and clicking Enter.

4. Click Decimal, enter 1000, and then click OK  Rebooted

No change EXCEPT I CAN GET THE DRIVE TO SHOW IN MY COMPUTER with in 45 seconds, however double-clicking the USB the data doesn’t show for 15 plus min…. many times the drive never did show.

og Name:      System

Source:        Service Control Manager

Date:          2/2/2012 10:49:08 AM

Event ID:      7011

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      V-ITS002.fbinsmi.com

Description:

A timeout (120000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the MMCSS service.  Noticed this when plugging in the USB device… so I tried the following…

Let us run the SFC scan and verify it prevents this error to occur.
Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

a. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

No change

More system event view info

A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated.

Went into device manager and found a WPD error….

As for the WPD, I have windows 7 and did the actions below which fixed my problem.:
Here's how I fixed the Blackberry. You can use the same aproach for any USB removeable for Vista or XP.

1. My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings. This takes you into the system properties like in XP. Go into Environment variables and create a new System varable called "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" ( without the quotes - I don't think it's case sensitive). Set this to a value of
2. Go into device manager. From the view menu, choose "show hidden devices". Because of the environment variable, you now see all devices not in use.
3. Uninstall any "Universal Serial Bus controllers" not in use (greyed out). Also I uninstalled any storage volumes, storage volume shadow copies, and disk drives also not in use. You should see your offending USB device in one of these areas.
Now try plugging your device in and see if it now detects. You should be ok now, even after a reboot.

For some reason the device manager filled up all 26 drive letters with bogus ports!!

This made no change….

A. Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device

This made no change… Also tried a new driver… NO CHANGE

WHAT ELSE CAN I TRY?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
srnhpp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems very good but you don't have luck!!!!
Srnhpp
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try other USB devices except for thumb-drives? If so was it also very slow?

What about the network? Is it LAN or WAN? Any firewalls or QOS in place?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dmadilicutty
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried about 5 different devices, including External Drives, FLASH, portable DVD… etc

It’s both lan/wan/ and external wifi connection…. QOS, need to looking that…. THANK YOU I will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So if you are using soft clients (Windows, Linux etc) then you should know that all USB traffic goes on TCP-Port 32111.

Are you saying that there are no difference if sitting on a wired lan and on a wifi or Wan?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dmadilicutty
Contributor
Contributor

No difference sitting on hardwire connection in the office, or over at mcdonalds WIFI in the Bahamas… It happens every time, no matter the connection method.

0 Kudos
dmadilicutty
Contributor
Contributor

It (the removable device)  does eventually show up in my computer.   If it were a firewall issue, would it ever show up if the firewall were to block it?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Could you try to install a fresh Win7, VMW Tools and View 5 agent? Just to rule out stuff in the image or the upgrade from 4.6 or hw7...

// Linjo

0 Kudos
dmadilicutty
Contributor
Contributor

Already did that. I installed XP and WIN7, base install, no software but only the agent and VMTools. It is still the same. We thought it might be our anti-virus either on the host, client, or even the broker…. Uninstalled from all devices listed and its still slow. Also by-passed the F5 between the view agent and the broker do see if he didn’t like…. Guess what…. No luck..hehheeh

0 Kudos
dmadilicutty
Contributor
Contributor

This is now solved in our environment.  It was found that in the View Administrator Console there were some settings that needed to be corrected after upgrading to the View 5 env.  .  IN View 4.6 the following settings were:  https://mydesktop.company.com:443 and the PCoIP had the IP to the SG (this did not change)

1992169.png

Before it was pointing to a load balancer url, now it's going to the SG IP address for both the Secure Tunnel and the PCoIP Gateway.  End users are still hitting the load balancer.  Clear as mud?

0 Kudos