VMware Horizon Community
groog
Contributor
Contributor

USB Redirection Driver Problems

Hello Everybody

I couldn't find this in any Documentation or elsewhere so my question is: Can I access a USB Device in VMWare if I can't install the driver on the host machine?

We're in the weird situation that we are no systemadmins on the local physical machine, but on the virtual we are. So if I connect a USB device local, I can't install the driver for it. I hoped that when I forward the USB Host device to the VM and install the driver there (e.g. for an EPSON Scanner), I might use the USB device.

As it turned out, when I connected a USB device local, which has not been recognized by Windows 7 Enterprise, I couldn't redirect it to the VM which runs also Win7 Enterprise. I'm using VMWare View Client 5.

USB Redirection has been installed according to the manual and works with other devices where a driver is installed.

I would be glad if there's any possibilty to access a device without installing the driver on the local machine. Also, if there's a document where it's explicitly said that you need to install a driver locally first to use a USB device, please post the link to it.

Thank you in advance!

martin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes this is possible, however you need to edit some registry keys to make it work.

We were having the same issue on a Thin Client, users are logged in as a normal user, and when they insert a usb device that's not being recognized by Windows a driver installation wizard popup.

It's possible to disable this popup by a GPO/registry key, the sad part is that I don't have the GPO/key right now 😞 I will take a look if I can find the key when I'm in the office.

Remon

0 Kudos
Alex88
Contributor
Contributor

Hello i have exactly same problem. We have an view environment, with fingerprint scanners wich does not work in terminal session. We decided to use Vmware View 5.0, but we dont need to install drivers on each thin client station. How to redirect new device installation wizard in the virtual machine ennvironment?

Maybe you finded this registry key???

0 Kudos
Alex88
Contributor
Contributor

I asked vmware support team about this issue. Device redirection without driver installation on local host is supported in version VMware View 5.1...

0 Kudos