VMware Horizon Community
MaxFaraday
Contributor
Contributor

USB Redirect on macOS - Works with one account only

I have VMware Horizon Client setup in a lab to connect to a VM server.  The users login to the client and access the VMs they have access to.

The problem is that with the USB Redirect does not work.  When they try and connect a USB device the menu just shows "Establishing USB to desktop connection - try again in a moment."  This message however just sits there and the USB menu never becomes available.

While configuring the station, the tech did run VMware Horizon Client once and clicked "Start remote USB services" and entered an admin password.  For this user the USB Redirect works fine.  It just does not work for any other user.  Every other users seems to already have the USB services started but they get the establishing message that never goes away.  I even testes this with another account that had admin rights on the devices, the USB redirect also does not work for that account.

Horizon Client: 4.5.1 and 4.6

Any help or suggestions would be wonderful.  It also seems like this is not meant for multiple users and also only mean for admin of the devices.  If that is so then this software seems way too limiting.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MaxFaraday
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?

0 Kudos
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This appears to be a known issue with USB on the MAC client. Please refer the release notes to confirm this is the issue you are seeing: VMware Horizon Client for Mac OS X Release Notes

0 Kudos
MaxFaraday
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply but I could not find anything in the notes that matched what I was seeing.

Example:

Account 01 runs the Horizon Client and turns on teh USB Redirection and enters the admin password to do so.

Account 02 runs the Horizon Client and the USB Redirection appears to be on already, no admin password asked for.

Account 01 runs a VM and the USB devices are passed though correctly.  With Automatically Connect enabled or disabled.

Account 02 runs a VM and the USB menu never show any devices give the message, "Establishing USB to desktop connection - try again in a moment."  This message never goes away.  I have tried this with Automatically Connect enabled and disabled.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.45.09 AM.png

We use this software in a lab where users are able to come in and use what station they need.  They are not admins on the devices.

0 Kudos
IPS_TECH
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Were you able to find a workaround for this issue?  We are having the same problem

0 Kudos