VMware Horizon Community
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor

USB Printing in View

I have a weird issue with a USB printer in our VM View environment.

I have a HP LJ P1505 that is hooked up to the guest machine, it prints just fine from the guest.  When you go into view and "connect a USB device" it adds two printers.

1: HP Laserjet P1505 - USB0001 Port - Prints fine, but not set as default

2: HP Laserjet P1505#1 - TPVM - Set as default, won't print unless you uncheck the "connect a usb device", then it prints.

So what I have run into, is a user that wants the default printer to be the P1505 that prints fine but view always pulls the P1505#1.  I know that View pulls the local driver, renames it to (printer)#1 and it should work.  I have about a dozen users that have USB printers and only a few users have this issue.

I thought the easiest fix would be to change the #1 properties to use the USB0001 port, but everything is grayed out.  I tried to remove and re-add the printer, but view re-adds both P1505 and P1505#1.

I need a way to make this printer work, and be set as the users default when he logs in.  If you set the P1505 as default, the user logs off and back on, it changes it to P1505#1.

Help!

This specific user is running View 4.5 for client and agent.  I know 4.6 has better USB support but I currently have another user that's on 4.6 agent/clinet and I am still seeing these issues on her VM.  The Guest OS is xp and the VM is Win 7.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
theandyorr
Contributor
Contributor

Does the client have any other print-forwarding or USB redirecting software embedded? I'd seen this sort of thing happen before when we'd used HP mobile thin clients that had HP's out-of-box USB redirecting software running.

0 Kudos
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor

No, the printe was added with the Driver's only.

The only thing that was different is the desktop's OS (xp) uses the HP downloaded drivers and the View (win7) used Microsoft's drivers that it found when it connected for the first time.

0 Kudos
benjamin009
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading to 4.6 and turning off thinprint resolved my issue.

0 Kudos
mila30
Contributor
Contributor

I will try your suggestion.  It might work for me as wellhttp://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/1.gif

0 Kudos