VMware Horizon Community
xchadxtx
Contributor
Contributor

USB Headset Loses Connection

Hey Everyone,

I appreciate you reviewing this post and any insight you may contribute.

We have many agents who use USB headsets who connect to their desktops using the VMware Horizon Client. These virtual desktops are set up using agent version 7.7.0-11054235. Each user works from home in various places across the United States. The agents are connecting using the VMware Blast protocol, and the microphone/audio utilizes the VMware Virtual audio devices (we have disabled the USB dropdown menu).

We are seeing a common issue, and it appears that the connection between the virtual desktop and the local computer with regards to the USB headset gets severed and will stop working within the virtual environment unless the connection to the virtual desktop is terminated and re-established. We work with a handful of agents a day in relation to this particular issue.

I've been unsuccessful as far as finding a solution for this issue - no version of VMware Horizon Client seems to be the answer (so far), nor does changing the protocol to PCoIP or utilizing the USB drop-down menu. I wanted to see if anyone else has run across this and has found a working solution. Any feedback/insight is appreciated.

If there are any other questions I can answer to help bring more clarity, please ask those as well.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmmaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How are you still running 7.7. I would update your system to at least 7.13 for starters.

Have you attempted to use PCoIP and the teradici audio drivers?

We have a call center on VDI desktops and many WFH users on teradici zero clients with USB headsets, for the most part it works well no headset disconnects.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
xchadxtx
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @vmmaj 

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately the clients we work with do not utilize zero clients. We have tried using PCoIP and the Teradici audio drivers in the past, but we've ran into the same issue. I will have to see what our plans are on moving to 7.13 as a company.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Just be aware anything under 7.13 loses support at the end of the month, it may be worthwhile opening an SR before the 22nd to see if there may be a bug in the newer clients connecting to 7.7.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81189

https://lifecycle.vmware.com/#/

sjesse_0-1614712920392.png

0 Kudos
vmmaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would also recommend using a UAG incase you are still using a Security Server. We have had better connections (less disconnects) since moving to a UAG.  

0 Kudos
xchadxtx
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @sjesse,

Thank you for the heads up. I will get with my organization and see if we can get a support request going.

0 Kudos
StellaRoberts
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VMMAJ,

I have been testing the quality of audio recordings on VDI using a Logitech plug and play USB headset. We are on Horizon 7.13 and have teradici audio driver is installed. Our internal users connect via Dell Wyse zero clients over PCOIP. I have not been able to achieve the same audio recording quality over VDI as I have with a physical PC. Would you be as kind to elaborate more about your environment and audio quality?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Make sure your zero clients are updated, there are the rtav(real time audio videa)  components that help. I saw an issue awhile ago with dell clients that weren't fully updated that was fixed by a zero client firmware update.

0 Kudos
vmmaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Stella,

Our environment is 7.13. We also use Dell Wyse Zero Clients with teradici 2004 firmware and plantronix acitive noise cancelling headphones.

We are also using the VMWware UAG. 

We have had good luck pretty much right from the start with the sound quality. We did have some zero client disconnect issues at the beginning but have figured them out mostly. 

I'd recommend making sure you work with your FW team to make sure you have all the necessary ports open, get the zero clients updated with the latest firmware.

0 Kudos