VMware Horizon Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

USB DVD Burner

I'm looking for information from anyone that is using USB DVD burners successfully with View 5.0. Specifically, I'd like to know models of burners that you are using, and any tips/hints/gotchas, etc. you can tell me about. I have been asked about using these with View, so I'm reaching out to see what others are doing.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am actually looking for the same information too.

I am still using View 4.6 at the moment, and have tried a Plextor PX-712UF (which is actually an old model). This did not work, however I don't know if its because of view or because the burner is just going bad, but it DID recognize in View when connected, but it would not burn to a CD. In fact, when connected, it would mess with Windows 7 and cause the Explorer windows to not refresh, such as you have a list of folders, and you rename or delete one, you would have to manually press F5 to refresh the display.

When I get a free moment, I am going to try another model, I have a feeling that any modern burner should work in View.

Ed

0 Kudos
Chad09
Contributor
Contributor

I've used a Dell GX10N to try and burn, however, it was burning at about 14KB/s. I'm not sure burning over a View environment is the best idea...but I'd like to see if anyone does have any success stories. I was using the Wyse P20 as my zero client.

0 Kudos
jslabaugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're still on 4.6 for now, but I wanted to report that we've tried several different models of LiteOn burners with our WYSE P20's, and have found that they will often crash the View session in XP, but are rock solid in Windows 7.  This is with the Teradici 3.5.1 firmware.

0 Kudos
Saibot
Contributor
Contributor

We are using Samsung SE-208 USB DVD burners with view 5 . The desktops are 32 bit windows 7 with cdburnerxp software and the clients are Dell FX100 zero clients with teradici firmware 3.5.1 . And this is working without problems.

MooreOrtho
Contributor
Contributor

We're similar to Saibot, however it took us a long while to find the right combo.  Honestly it didn't work consistently for us until view 5.0 and the teradici firmware update to 3.5.1 (we're using the Wyse P20's).  View 5.1 and the tera2 chip (no word on when it's coming out) promises to handle USB connectivity even better with the ability to offload cache to the Zero client itself (up to 500MB's is what I heard at our regional VMUG).

Right now though here's what works for us:

Wyse P20 with 3.5.1 firmware

View 5.0 (vshpere, vcenter, view connection server, agent, etc)

Windows 7 Pro x64

Samsung SE-S084

In my testing access and burning seem to run about 1 minute slower on average than a typical PC (typical for us is a Dell Optiplex 755, 2 GB Ram, Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz CPU, Windows XP SP3).  I also got a reply from Teradici on an updated device list however I can't find the email now.... but they did have a newer version of the Samsung above on the list.  I'll update this if I find the email.

wadimt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have a similar config like Saibot, but the DVD drive won't read CDs/DVDs. When I connect the external DVD drive to the zero client the system detects the drive, installs drivers and I can see it in device manager, but it won't read any CD, however I can hear it working. Any ideas?

Configuration

- Zero Cient: Samsung NC190, tera1 processor, firmware 4.0.2, EHCI enabled

- VMware View 5.1, PCoIP as default

- DVD drive: Samsung SE-208DB (recommended by Teradici)

- Windows 7 32-bit

Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
wadimt
Contributor
Contributor

The trick is to use an USB-Y-Cable, now it works fine.

0 Kudos