VMware Horizon Community
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM and roaming profiles

I have set up UEM and configured folder redirection pointing to a server share (all of my desktops use Instant Clone).  When I log on, i can see a folder created in that share named the same as the userid and two subfolders get created as well...archive and backups .   I could have sworn previously there were additional folders in here for desktop, favorites etc, because I have them set to redirect.  Desktop redirection is working because i have tested that by creating a file on the desktop, logging off and back on again, and the file is there.   But I cannot find that file in the profile data on the server share where the roaming profile data is located.  Am I missing something?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is folder redirection. So these are the user profile folders you keep OUTSIDE the user profile.

I.e. you do not roam these folders, they will always stay on the network location.

The user profile archive is configured in the UEM GPO settings.

For more information, please read: VMware User Environment Manager Deployed in 60 Minutes or Less | VMware End-User Computing Blog

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Try placing a \ at the end maybe. I looked at my settings and I have a slash at the end.

pastedImage_0.png

Also do you have the UEM GPOs setup, I know when I set ours up originally we had the folder redirection in those, before I switched the the noad mode that came in 9.1

0 Kudos
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks ArnoM.  I have read that article, and that is how i set up UEM and profiles.  I have had this working for a few months and all of the sudden those other folders from the redirection settings don't appear in my profile share.  I have the UEM profiles archive setting in the GPO pointing to the same path as the folder redirection settings shown in my first post.  What i can't figure out is where in the archives is desktop data stored?  As I mentioned, i tested by creating a file on the desktop, logging off and back on, and the file is still there.  But I can't find that file in my UEM archive. 

0 Kudos
ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I really don't get the point why you use folder redirection and then redirect these folders in your profile?

This is typically used for getting these folders outside the user profile. Not in.

Also redirecting the AppData folder is not a best practice. Create custom application config files, you can download these from the VMware community and if you can't find your application, use the Application Profiler tool to capture these settings.

As for the file not being there, are you saving the desktop folder location in a UEM personalization config file?

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
0 Kudos
anothervsphereu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now the folders are magically showing up again

pastedImage_0.png

I guess I understand roaming profile and folder redirection differently.  Before enabling folder redirection, nothing in my profile would roam. 

0 Kudos