VMware Horizon Community
jooji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UEM 9.7, Windows 10 LTSC, Mandatory profiles and Start Menu programs list issue.

Hello,

I've got a strange issue with the programs list on my Windows 10 LTSC golden image. When i login the start menu is blank only showing the Search & Settings windows 10 apps (screenshot 1). In the UEM logs i can see all of my shortcuts, desktop and programs folder, are being created successfully. I can also see them in the Start Menu\Programs directory in ProgramData. Here's the weird part, if i delete one of the shortcuts on the desktop for e.g. Word or Excel the programs list suddenly springs into life (screenshot 2).

Im not trying to do anything fancy with roaming the start menu or applying an XML for the tiles, just want basic functionality!

So just for a bit of background on the steps ive tried so far...

- Tried with and without the Logon Task - Delete Windows 6.x Start Menu, no effect.

- Tried running the shortcuts async and non async (not that it should matter)

- Tried with and without the Mandatory profile by disabling the group policy setting, no change.

- Tried redirecting the Programs Menu in redirected folders to the users profile, didnt make a difference.

- Checked permissions on Start Menu stuff (before and after shortcut deletion), no change.

- Tried running a delayed batch script to delay run to delete a dummy UEM created shortcut to load the start menu as a workaround, didn't work.

any help appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jooji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

after some hoop jumping with Horizon Support this is a known issue. A workaround is to create a logon batch script to restart windows explorer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jooji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

after some hoop jumping with Horizon Support this is a known issue. A workaround is to create a logon batch script to restart windows explorer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
amostovoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll second this issue. Just finished a project with a customer and it's a 100% match on OS/UEM.  Same issue. Very random accounting for about 25% of the logons. It's the randomness that made things difficult to troubleshoot. I've communicated the workaround to my customer.

0 Kudos
jooji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also just to note. To get the batch script to work, set the logon task to run before profile archive import.

0 Kudos
amostovoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

jooji​,

Wouldn't it make more sense to have an icon on the desktop that a user can execute in case of Explorer failure?  If the script runs and the desktop isn't broken, I'm wondering if there is a possibility that it would actually break the desktop since the "S-Only" menu is totally random. Ultimately this needs to be fixed and I'm escalating the issue to our business unit at VMware, but until there is a repair in place, we're looking at the best approach to using this workaround.

0 Kudos
jooji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue for me wasn't totally random, it was every login. VMware have told me its a known issue and a fix will be available in a future release.

0 Kudos
amostovoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi jooji​,

I've engaged our business unit team.  Do you happen to have the SR# for your incident? This is important for us as we need to cross-reference an existing case with subsequent instances of this problem. Also - would you happen to have the debug logs from that case? I'll compare them to the other customer's case.  If you want to share your info privately, I'm at amostovoy@vmware.com.

Thank you! Much appreciated. We need to get a resolution in place instead of a workaround. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
kennyvz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, this still appears to be an issue with DEM v9.9, Windows 10 1903, each time I login I have an incomplete Start Menu until I run Flexengine.exe -uemrefresh, at which point all the icons come back. Has there been any progress towards a resolution? Many thanks, Ken.

0 Kudos