VMware Horizon Community
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

UDD created when you ask it not to?!

Hey,

Using View 4, we create a persistent linked clone pool.

When asked about user data disk, we say "set to same disk as OS".

In the summary before the pool is created, it confirms this is what we have chosen.

Once the pool is created, a UDD is present (D:) when we log on.

The pool details, once created, show a UDD present in the settings.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
henketh
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem, se this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1451237#1451237

MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks - I didn't see that thread.

We are also using ESX 3.5 as the back-end as we are not quite ready for vSphere, but this IS a supported configuration...

It seems that may well be the common issue?

0 Kudos
henketh
Contributor
Contributor

If you read through the whole thread you can see that this issue was repeated in a vSphere 4/View 4 environment, so 3.5 seems not to be the culprit.

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

we should not have used Composer with vCenter on a 64-bit OS in the first place as Composer is only supported on 32-bit

This seemed to be the suggested vSphere issue and so was resolved that by switching back to 32bit, whereas the people using 3.5 could not resolve in that manner, so there may be two issues giving similar results:

if using vSphere you need to use 32bit vCenter.

If using 3.5 there doesn't seem to be a solution other than upgrading to vSphere?

0 Kudos
henketh
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that could be the case. We will soon upgrade to vSphere, hopefully then this issue will vanish. Rumour is there's a View 4.01 coming soon, perhaps addressing this too.

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have resolved the issue it seems (hope I'm not getting ahead of myself).

The problem was ESX 3.5.

Upgrading to vSphere U1 has resolved the issue - UDD is now working as expeced on persistent pools.

Very strange. I guess this was missed in QA when VMWare said 3.5 works with Vew 4.

We are happy now. I hope this post helps others who might have a similiar issue.

BTW - This also resolved an issue with post sync scripts (another post).

0 Kudos
henketh
Contributor
Contributor

This problem will be solved in View 4.01, rumoured RTM in about a week. I have tried a prerelease and it solved the problem, and my other problem too (no Active Sessions visible in View Manager). We use ESX3.5u4 and VirtualCenter 2.5u4 btw.

0 Kudos