VMware Horizon Community
larstr
Champion
Champion

UAG admin password

Hi,

I've inherited an UAG system where I'm unable to login. I've just successfully reset the root password by following these doc:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/Unified-Access-Gateway/3.3/com.vmware.uag-33-deploy-config.doc/GUID-F1B90...

I don't know what version this UAG gatway is and I've so far been unable to reset the admin password. I've tried this kb article:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/Unified-Access-Gateway/3.3.1/com.vmware.uag-331-deploy-config.doc/GUID-EA...

..but it doesn't recognize the adminpwd command. "-bash: adminpwd: command not found"

pastedImage_0.png

I've also tried to configure the firstboot file as described here:

https://www.pascalswereld.nl/2017/09/29/blog-search-queries-answers-euc-unified-access-gateway-defau...

pastedImage_3.png

It does however give the following message instead of resetting the password: "System settings already created. No need to initialize."

Anyone have an idea how get through this? I have a certificate that should be replaced within a few days.

Lars

0 Kudos
14 Replies
alienjoker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lars,

Try the following:

echo ‘adminPassword=<Password>’ > /opt/vmware/gateway/conf/firstboot.properties

chown gateway /opt/vmware/gateway/conf/firstboot.properties

supervisorctl restart admin

2236E464-02FC-4F64-A5B2-A21DBF640E14.png

Many thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Hi Andrew,

I tried doing that, but the log said it was already configured.

Lars

0 Kudos
alienjoker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lars,

Have you had a look to see if the firstboot.properties file exists in your deployment under the path specified above, it was deprecated from newer versions of the UAG.

If it does, can you take a look inside to see what values are currently set for adminPassword - I'm assuming its in clear text?

less /opt/vmware/gateway/conf/firstboot.properties

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Andrew,

The file did not exist, so i tried creating it. It got deleted when restarting the service.

It's UAG version 3.3.0.0-1.

Lars

0 Kudos
tzang270
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but did you ever get around this? I am seeing the exact same thing.

0 Kudos
microy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

The adminpwd is only an alias. 

alias adminpwd='sudo /opt/vmware/gateway/scripts/adminPasswordChange.sh'

Roy

0 Kudos
Chovav
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem - no one knows the admin password. I  have follows the instructions for version 3.3. After restarting admin, the firstboot.properties file is gone, but nothing about the adminPassword is logged in admin.log and the new password is not working, so I am still looking to find a way to break in.

0 Kudos
microy
Contributor
Contributor

If the adminpwd command don't work, you can use the following command instead: 'sudo /opt/vmware/gateway/scripts/adminPasswordChange.sh'

0 Kudos
Chovav
Contributor
Contributor

the scripts does not exist on 3.3

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

From what I understand you can connect in ssh with the root user.

Have you tried to change the Admin password with the classic linux "passwd admin" command?

On 3.3 I never had the need but it could work. 🙂

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
Chovav
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

There is nothing you can do at this version unfortuantly, you need to redeploy, and had the same issue. I forgot what version they added the password reset but even the early version resets didn't always work. I'd look at creating powershell scripts to automatically deploy them for you  if your not already, that way if there is an issue you can quickly delete these if there are any problem and run the powershell script to recreate it.

Chovav
Contributor
Contributor

I plan to deply the latest release. its just that I wanted to export the settings from the current one - and I can't. The system was set long before I took over and no one recalls the admin password...

0 Kudos
vishg
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I just faced this issue in my lab and here's how I was able to get over it. Posting it here just in case I forget what I did or if someone else stumbles on the same. 😉

1. Reset the root password using the procedure mentioned in the article below. The important thing to note is that you have to make sure the GNU GRUB menu looks exactly like it is shown in the menu screenshot embedded in the article. Without this, I kept getting the hv_balloon... floor reached messages and the root prompt never showed up. This was the second time that I had to do the root password reset, but the first time I did not hit the hv_balloon messages issue. So, keep this handy in case you do.
https://docs.vmware.com/en/Unified-Access-Gateway/2203/uag-deploy-config/GUID-F1B90F5A-DC1A-4175-B34...

2. Next step is simpler actually. Reset the VM and let it come back to the blue VMware EUC Unified Access Gateway screen. Then, just hit enter and login with root. The adminpwd command should work from here. Even I could not fully understand what changes that allows the command to work from here, but it does work! That's how I reset my admin password.

0 Kudos