VMware Horizon Community
lbragg
Contributor
Contributor

Two separate connection servers and one VCenter???

Ok--here's the scenario:

We are currently on View 4.6 and Vsphere 4.1 and are getting ready to upgrade to View 5. 

Note:  we are currently going to leave our hosts and vcenter on 4.1 and just upgrade View to 5--so this means i need to upgrade my connection servers and the agent on the desktops.

Management would like some testing done prior to the upgrade so i was looking at doing the following:

Stand up a new stand-alone Connection Server with View 5

My question is can my existing connection servers that are on 4.6 and a new one that is on 5 both be connected to my single VCenter?

My thoughts were to get the new version 5 connection server stood up and then just move a few clients over to it for testing.

This would allow me to do any testing we need before actually doing the upgrade to 5 on our production connection servers.

Any thoughts?

Any one done this?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have had multiple connection servers connected to one vCenter before with no problems.   As a matter of fact I've done a couple of View betas like this in the past.   You will not be able share desktops between the two View environments and I'd be careful with composer.  

0 Kudos
lbragg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I wasn't planning on sharing any desktops.

We have mostly manual pools with persistent desktops--so i was thinking that once i get the new view 5 connection server going i'd just remove a few desktops from on of the manual pools on our production connection server and add them to the view 5 server.

That way i can move them back later once our testing is done.

Does that sound reasonable?

THanks

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I think that would be fine.

0 Kudos