VMware Horizon Community
DNieroda
Contributor
Contributor

Two nagging view 4.6 issues [help]

I can't seem to find any solution to these problems so i'm coming here for some help. Hopefully someone has experienced this before..

1)  If a network printer is set as the default printer in the VM environment, upon re-logging in, the default printer reverts to something else. 

2)  Users with a local Windows XP box and using two monitors with multi-monitor mode selected, connecting to a Windows 7 guest OS, some users have weird keyboard issues (pressing delete doesn't delete, switches to different windows instead) as well as one user has her mouse curser turn into an hour glass on the second monitor for no reason, it's just fine on the first monitor.

A re-login to the virtual machine usually fixes the keyboard keys issue.. but it keeps happening randomly.

Really weird stuff here. I need help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for your first issue, we just created a simple script to set the desired default printer at login. the script looks like this:

Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
PrinterPath = "\\printserver\printer"
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter PrinterPath

we then created a scheduled task to run at login to kick off the script. more of a work around than anything else but it gets the job done.

0 Kudos
Jerpoulissen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi DNieroda,

As for your printer issue, why not use GPO preferences to set a default printer at logon see: http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/01/how-to-use-group-policy-preferences-to-dynamically-map-printers-w...

0 Kudos
DNieroda
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions guys, however both methods don't really solve this one. Because, the default printer resets everytime they disconnect from the client (not log off, just disconnect). So when for whatever reason their session times out or disconnects, upon reconnect the default printer reverts to something else.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Like I said more of a workaround than a fix.   Not all of our users complain about this. But for the ones that do we make sure to add the script I referenced above and then notify them that they have to logoff (not disconnect) when they are leaving for the day or finished with their work at home for it to work properly.

0 Kudos