VMware Horizon Community
thomasboudet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two domains on VMware View

Hi all,

first of all i'm french so, sorry for my bad english.

I installed a VMware View solution (6.0.1) , i've deploy some servers in the company that i work (all on Windows 2008 R2) :

- on a domain (horizon.local) :

-view connection server : 172.16.15.1/24

-view composer server : 172.16.15.3/24

-an Active Directory server : 172.16.15.2/24 with a DHCP server

I've a virtual machine, on  Windows 7, with 2 ethernet cards :

-1st card : 172.16.15.180/24

-2nd card : 10.1.1.180/24

This virtual machine is on a domain : Infotest.local (10.1.1.11), and i've add this VM in a pool on View Administrator (i've installed a View Agent on this VM), and i see the VM as "avaiable"

The problem is that when i try to connect on this VM by VMware View Client, it doesn't work (black screen).

So, what's wrong with my infrastructure please ?

Thanks

T.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

A black screen is typically some kind of port being blocked by the firewall.  See the KB below for the required ports.

VMware KB: Network connectivity requirements for VMware View Manager 4.5 and later

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

It is likely that the View agent is picking up your 10.11.180.x address and using that, the client is then unable to reach it. See Configure a Virtual Machine with Multiple NICs for View Agent for how to configure your agent so that the correct address is picked up.

Mike

0 Kudos
thomasboudet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

thanks for your answers !

I thought that it was a firewall rules too, but the problem is : when i shut down the Ethernet NIC with IP address 10.1.1.180/24, it WORKS !!!

I don't know why ... Smiley Sad

And, mpryor, i try to configure the agent but it doesn't work (see the picture) ...

Thanks

ThomasSubnet.png

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

It looks like you have configured it correctly - can you provide debug logs from the VM? See VMware KB: Collecting diagnostic information for VMware Horizon View

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which network adapter has the default gateway?  Are there static routes created to route the appropriate traffic to the appropriate networks that are accessible on the network adapter that does not have the static route?

0 Kudos
thomasboudet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm trying to extract debug files, at the moment.

The network adapter which has the default gateway is the NIC with IP address 172.16.15.180/24

There are no static route created, only default routes.

Thanks

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What is the IP address of the system with the View Client?

0 Kudos
thomasboudet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The network 10.1.2.x/24 can access (PCoIP, RDP, Blast) on VMware View Virtual machines, because on the VM where the agent View is installed, if I shutdown the NIC with IP address 10.1.1.180, it works and i can access on this VM by View Client...

Thanks

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you able to provide a route print from the Windows 7 workstation when the 10.1.1.180 network connection is enabled?

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Thomas,

I suspect that the service is choosing to listen for connections using the NIC with the alphanumerically lower device description.

One method would be to rearrange which networks are used on which NICs.  First remove all of the NICs from the VM in vCenter. Next remove the NICs from windows device manager. To remove set the environment variable to show nonpresent devices in device manager: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/315539.

Finally, add the NICs back to the VM making sure that you add the one you wish to use for remote connectivity first. Please share the outcome post that.

Regards

Gaurav Baghla  

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Gaurav, what you're saying about the scan order for the adapters being important is true if using out of the box - however, the View product explicitly allows a subnet mask to be set in order to override any other selection. Therefore I'd rather nobody followed those steps you listed as they should be redundant. The support bundle from the desktop VM will provide further information on the actual problem.

0 Kudos
TitoDz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem when my View Connection Servers were passing the wrong IP to the View Clients. I did set the registry as you did, and also set the binding order of my vNICs so that the NIC I wanted to use for PCoIP traffic was at the top:

Binding Order.PNG

This is an example for Windows 8.1, but works for Windows 7 as well.

0 Kudos