VMware Horizon Community
EdOB
Contributor
Contributor

Two Broker servers and only one takes the RDP (3389) traffic on a load balancer.

I have load balanced two connection servers and even though I see connections on port 4001 for desktops on both servers, I only get port 3389 terminations on one of the servers? Anyone else see this anomoly? On one server the tunnel service is running hot, and the other is not even breaking a sweat... even if I tell client to connect to the other connection server it still uses port 3389 on the OTHER (May primary server) server. THoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EdOB
Contributor
Contributor

I just heard from Support. Who said that Load Balancing is only for High Availability and that it will NOT distribute the load to more than one Connection server at a time. View 4.5 does have some Federated Pool balancing available apparently. So scaling this to large numbers of desktops seems to be hanging on very large connection servers if you are using Encryption like I am and not Direct connect.

0 Kudos
EdOB
Contributor
Contributor

OH THE SAGA Continues! Support called me back today, and retracted the above statement. (I had pursued my account manager not happy with the response.) As it turns out, this should act the same way it would, if you physically visited the individual URLs you were trying to load balance. (Good news!). The problem they are faced with now is to explain why I am seeing port 3389 at all. It was explained to me today, that JMS (Java Management System ... Java something Sorry might have not gotten that name exact) uses port 4001 and 8009 to manage the heart beat between the systems, then a https Dynamic port is used to encapsulate the RDP sessions inside. This support person was not feeling like I should see any Port 3389 traffic. (I was seeing Outgoing Port 3389 from the connection server to the guests) At the time, I actually had 35 View Desktops being used, but could only see 4 port 3389 sessions.. I will let you know when I find out what these are doing. I was the only RDP session TO the connection server..

0 Kudos