VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Tuning Windows 10 for Instant Clone Desktops

Hi All,

Just doing some tuning on the desktops and have a question or two about it.  I'm guessing that I am missing something or something is not right.  After Optimizing the desktop and going thru the local group Policy to disable all the Windows 10 crap (Cortana, Windows apps, etc) i can't get them to work on the network.  If i login locally all is disabled but When i logging to the domain they are all back.  I looked at all the Domain GPS's and made some changes there but most of them are specifir to windows 10.  How do i get those GPO settings to stay?  Any help is appreciated.  thanks.

Perry

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
4 Replies
apbaseball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried running the VMware OS Optimization tool on your base image? It's a free VMware Fling that will optimize everything for you:

VMware OS Optimization Tool

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Already did that just curious why after all the Optimizing and tuning of the master image (removing all the app and BS) that when the pool is recomposed all those apps and BS are still part of my master image.  

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
apbaseball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It may be a silly question, but you're recomposing after taking a new snapshot, correct?

If so, the only think I can think of is there must be some GPOs somewhere in your environment turning all of that stuff back on.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I really like using this guide.  I got a real-snappy Win10 Desktop using these steps, so I like to recommend it.

https://techzone.vmware.com/creating-optimized-windows-image-vmware-horizon-virtual-desktop

0 Kudos