VMware Horizon Community
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Troubleshooting Security Server to Connection Server 4.01

Hi all,

I'm trying to narrow down communication problems between my security server (SC) and my internal connection server (CS). Other than running the Generate View Connection Server log Bundle what other tools would help narrow down the problem?

I think my connection is getting as far as the DMZ gateway but would like to be able to go to my network people with more than ping & tracert outputs

Any suggestions/ pointers welcome

0 Kudos
25 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

what is your exactlly problem?

Have you checked our logfile on security server?

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi & thanks for responding

When a user connnects to the vm through the security server the view client will very briefly show a black square where the vm screen should be and then the vm client shuts down leaving the session connected according the connection broke admin website

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

please check as follow.

Go to connection Server, Configuration, View Server and edit.

Verify if you have "Direct connection to desktop" unchecked.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Direct Connection to Desktop is unchecked

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok,

can you check if you can access any vms from security server per rdp connection please?

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From an external machine using view client if I use PCoIP protocol the desktop window is displayed with a black screen for a few seconds before shutting down the client

If I use RDP from the same machine I get "This desktop is currently not available. Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator"

If I try a simple RDP connection from the security server to 1 of the vms in the pool I get "The client could not connect to the remote computer"

If I try RDP from within the internal network I am able to connect to the vm desktop

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So it seems, that the rules you have configured in your firewall from dmz to internal network are not 100% correct!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have control over all the firewalls and as its only a pilot I am using windows 2003 server's builtin firewall but I have the following exceptions

On the Security Server

UDP port 50002

TCP http port 80

TCP https port 443

On the Connection Server

TCP http port 80

TCP https port 443

Remote Desktop enabled

TCP 8009 for Views use of AJP13

TCP 4001 for Views use of JMS

I don't have RDP exception enabled on the security server should I or is the problem really that traffic on RDP port can't travel between internal & DMZ network?

If I'm talking to the network people do I need to get the RDP port open and is there any point in getting PCoIP port enabled at the same time?

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok at first you must know, that PCOIP isn't supportrd over WAN.

My rules looks like the folowing:

- From external to security server Ports 80 and 443

- Security Server to Conenction Server(s) RDP

- Security Server to Conenction Server(s) AJP13

- View Machines or View Network to View Security Server AJP13 and JMS

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Contacted network people and they say RDP is open between SC and CS. I've also noticed that from the internal network using the same CS that is paired to the SC I can use PCoIP with the view client to connect to the desktop but if I switch the protocol to RDP I get the same error as if I was connecting from outside.

I can connect to the same vm from the same machine using windows RDP client which seems to me to rule out the vm itself

The events list on view manager 4 have the RDP test getting as far as the user being authenticated, a vm being allocated but the next event is listed as Message: PENDING:Server:cn=removedforforum,ou=servers,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int;Pool:cn=poolname,ou=server groups,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int;DNS:

Type: Info

Time: 03/03/10 14:40:17

Module: Audit

Thread: PoolManager

I ran the view log generator and found that port 3389 TCP is listed as open but null where as AJP13 and JMS ports show the program/service thats using it.

Is that because there are no current RDP connections open or does it mean that the required service isn't listening to the port?

According to services.msc on the connection server the Remote Desktop Help Session Manager service is not running and set to manual start does that matter?

Message was edited by: mobcdi, cleaning up posting

0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And terminal services service is set to started with manual startup

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hmmh,

that is a strange thing, that PCOIP works and RDP not.

And have you verfiyied, the rules I sent you in this post, in cause of RDP.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm thinking it could the version of RDP running on the server. If I open a managment console (mmc) and add the terminal services management snap on it shows the version of RDP as 5

Is there a way to upgrade the rdp server to v6 while still remaining on windows 2003 sp2?

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

to get the new version just install all windows updates you can get from you WSUS or from microsoft sites.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do I need to be running the full "Terminal Server" or would Terminal Services for Remote Administration be enough. I've upgraded all I can find and the terminal services configuration snap in shows the connection as "Microsoft RDP 5.2" thats without making either the SC or CS a full terminal server

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

if it is a "normal" Desktop you only need to enable remote desktop.

If you want to use it as Terminalserver it is neccessary to install The fully terminal services.

And if you want to use View on a Server 2003, you NEED to install the fully Terminalservices!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm a bit mixed up which may not surprise

Is it alright to have SC & CS running windows 2003 sp2 without "full terminal server" in order to allow connections thru those servers to the various desktops on the inside network?

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes SC or CS don't need to have fully TS installed, only Remote enabled if you want to manage it remote.

If you want to publish an Server 2003 R2 to view portal and access it through view client, from outside or inside you need to have installed fully Terminalservices on it, otherwise it will not work.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This thread has proved very helpful to me but the topic has changed from the original posting so I think its best to close the topic and I'll start a clean thread about my RDP view client fails while xp client'sremote desktop works.

Thanks alot for all your help and patience

0 Kudos