VMware Horizon Community
johillsco
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble with USB Redirect

Has anyone experienced any problems with users losing communications with their USB printer after disconnecting and/or logging off a VMware View session?  The workaround has been to pull the USB cable and plug back in  allow the printer to reinstall.  This becomes a problem for us when the user doesn't have administrative permissions for the desktop/laptop.

VMware View Client - 5.00
Printers used - HP Officejet 100M (the problem is occurring with multiple model printers.  Just giving the 100 as an example.)
Driver - The driver being used is a basic printer driver which was downloaded from hp.com.  The version is 14.
Other notes, users are using air cards for network connectivity.  We have had better luck with USB redirect instead of using ThinPrint.
Any assistance or guidance is much appreciated.
-Jason
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When a session gets disconnect'ed, the USB connection also gets disconnected to the vm. My guess is because your view client only detects "new" usb connections on your client and therefore does not redirect the usb when you reconnect to the vm. If your client is running windows, you could probably deselect the printer from the "Connect USB device" at the top of the screen. I have not tested this and I do not know if this have been corrected in a newer version of the View Client.

If your users do not have rights to install printer drivers on the vm, make sure the driver is already present on the vm.

0 Kudos
johillsco
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but that's not exactly what is occurring.

Our users are not able to reestablish a connection from the USB printer to the physical machine after previously being connected to a View session.  It's as if the logical connection doesn't "re-redirect" back to the physical pc.  Then as a workaround we're having to unplug/replug the USB cable to re-establish the connection or reinstall.

I still have yet to see this first hand.  The users that have experienced this are out in the field  I was going to try to get my hands on a printer and try to reproduce this myself.

0 Kudos