VMware Horizon Community
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Trouble with PCoIP secure Gateway

I'm using View 4.6 and struggling with this configuration.  Under the 'View Configuration', 'Servers', then 'View Connection Servers' it lists my connection server.  In the PCoIP column it says no secure gate is installed which is true.  See screenshoot

View-Admin1.jpg

the problem occurs in the settings of the connection servers.

When I select my connection server and fill out the 'HTTP(S) secure tunnel' External URL box and un-check the 'User secure Tunnel connection to desktop I cam continue to use the connection server internally.

When I check the box and also check the 'Use the PCoIP gateway for PCoIP connections to desktop box then it will work remotely but not internally.  Also the PCoIP external URL is grayed out.

To summarize I can only get this working for internal or external use only and not both at the same time.

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can make this work with just a single Connection Server supporting both internal and external access but it will mean that internal PCoIP is unnecessarily gatewayed through a Connection Server or Security Server.

It is better to dedicate Connection Servers for internal and external so that internal PCoIP access can be direct between the client and virtual desktop.

There is a detailed description of this here http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974 which includes a video detailing a View deployment setup for both internal and external access.

Mark.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Meph1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Stu,

Heres something that i think you need to remember.

Users that come in from externally connect to your gateway (security server), that brokers the PCOIP connections direct to the desktops, the connection server does not handle the connections.

Users internally (when the "use secure tunnel" option is NOT checked) the connection server connects the client to the desktop but does not broker the connection, it establishes a direct connection between client and desktop.

Conversely if you DO check the "use secure tunnel" option on the connection server then it WILL broker the PCOIP connection from internal client to the desktop so all connections go via that server.

Basically if you check this setting and connection no longer works i can see there is a problem TCP/UDP port 4172 between the client and the connection server, and also the connection server and the desktops.

For now try leaving the HTTPS option ticked and the use pcoip gateway''' unticked (this wont affect the gateway (security) server as tunneling cannot be turned off)

Hope that helps

- Phil

VCA4-DT
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can make this work with just a single Connection Server supporting both internal and external access but it will mean that internal PCoIP is unnecessarily gatewayed through a Connection Server or Security Server.

It is better to dedicate Connection Servers for internal and external so that internal PCoIP access can be direct between the client and virtual desktop.

There is a detailed description of this here http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974 which includes a video detailing a View deployment setup for both internal and external access.

Mark.

0 Kudos