VMware Horizon Community
jx
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble getting Vmware View to work

Hello All,

I am new to VDI, but familier with vCenter and VI infrastructure. I am trying to setup a VDI environment and I am running into all sorts of issues. Here is what I do

1) Installed vSphere vCenter on XP SP2

2) Installed VDI connection manager on a Win2003 guest OS, running on a different ESX

3) view composer: The installation goes fine. But When I try to add the vCenter into the VDI connection manager, it says it cannot connect to composer (composer service is running). Once I restart the vCenter machine, vCenter service wouldn't start (the SCM error says the service started and stopped)

Questions I have are:

1) How do I fix this - apparently

2) Do I need SQL server or SQL express which vcenter installs is good? If SQL server is needed, which version?

3) Are there any detailed documents on how to install and configure vmware view?

4) If you guys wants to look at the log files, please let me know which one and the location

5) What is the quick pro domain on the enable composer window? Is it required to add one?

Frankly, I am stuck! Please help

~j

0 Kudos
6 Replies
zilch321
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently doing a demo of the View environment and was just going over the documentation today. You might want to search in there about using vsphere. I'm 99% sure you cant use any vSphere products with View yet. When I downloaded the installers I took note of this because everything they license you for is ESX 3.5 era, from ESX to vCenter.

0 Kudos
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you are correct. VMware View still does not have support for vSphere

Jose B Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Leostream
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

If you want to continue using vSphere in the near term, but require a Connection Broker, you could try the Leostream Connection Broker. Leostream installs as a virtual appliance within vSphere, and can manage vSphere VMs. One caveat is that Leostream does not support Composer. So, if you are looking to use Linked Clones, Leostream will not work for you, either.

Good luck,

Karen

Leostream Connection Broker for VMware, Citrix XenServer, Citrix XenApp, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Blades. Leostream provides access control and management of virtual desktops, physical desktops, applications, and Terminal Server sessions hosted on virtual, physical, or blade servers. Independent, flexible, scalable Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) integration.
0 Kudos
jdudakia
Contributor
Contributor

Karen, in my case I have to use linked clones so vSphere wouldn't be an option for me.

All,

Thanks for your responses. I did make some progress lately. I installed VI 3.5 and latest updates and things started working. Well.... not completely, but at least the connection manager and the composer are connecting and I can create a desktop pool using linked clones. Now after creating the pool, the system is stuck on "Customizing" the desktop sources and eventually fails with timeout error. Any idea why??

Another issue: The vCenter I am using to has 10 VMs - running all types of windows OS. I want to pick one VM (a Win2003 ENT) as the desktop pool source parent. But the desktop pool creation wizard in connection manager does not list that VM as one of the available VMs. It lists two windows 2008 VMs and one XP Pro VM. From the document I understand that there must have at least one snapshot taken when the VM was dormant in order for it to be used as a parent VM . I did that but still it doesn't get picked up by the connection manager. Any idea whats going on ??

Thanks

~j

0 Kudos
zilch321
Contributor
Contributor

I had big issues with customization and my AV software, Symantec Endpoint. Even turning off all the endpoint services was not enough to make the customization work. I had to uninstall it completely. At that point customization went through without a hitch. I am told that if I install Endpoint with just the AntiVirus bits the customization will work but I've yet to test that. If your Parent VM has a related protection software package installed do some searching with the brand/product name in regards to customization, there were several vendors I found on this forum that gave the same exact problem.

0 Kudos
jdudakia
Contributor
Contributor

>> I am told that if I install Endpoint with just the AntiVirus bits the customization will work

Can you please point me to the place where you got that information. I would like to know more about it

In my case where the customization fails, the parent VM does NOT have AV software. The reason why I am curious about the point is because I am planning to install AV on it as the next step.

0 Kudos