VMware Horizon Community
mqh777
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble Installing VDI Client

We have VMWare View 4.x. We have built a Windows 2003 server within our VMWare vSphere 4.0 Client tool and we installed the View Administrator Console on it. We built out a Windows 7 x86 workstation that we want to deploy via View. This Windows 7 machine is also built in vSphere 4.0

On our 2003 server we opened up the View Admin Console | Desktop & Pools and then clicked the ADD button. We walked through the dialogs and got to the following screen.

Physical Machine: It is asking us to enter one of the following: DNS Name, Description, Type State. What do you enter here? No matter what we enter it finds nothing.

Also, on the second screen we had 2 options. vCenter Virtual Machine was grayed out and we could not pick it. We could only choose "Other Source"

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you associated your vCenter server with the View environment?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Make sure you followed all the steps outlined in Getting Started with VMware View 4.0 like adding the vCenter Server, installing the agent on your workstation VM...

As far as I know, Windows 7 is "experimental" in View 4.0 and will be supported in the next version.

André

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

There is a few steps missing, you need to configure the vCenter and install the View Agent first.

I would recommend to have a look in this guide, its very good:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/10088

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mqh777
Contributor
Contributor

All, thank you. I had 1 document titled view401_admin_guide.pdf I was following this page by page. I will look at the deployment .pdf.

Before I dive into all of this let me ask this: Once you have a VDI image that your users can use how do you handle their personal settings/user layer? If they make changes to MS Office or if they install somethign like AIM how do you keep those changes? AppSense? Or can VMWare handle these now with the purchanse of RTO?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We handle our profiles with a combination of Appsense and folder redirection.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
mqh777
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what we've done and what we have.

We have ESXi 4 installed and currently running about 50 servers

We have the VMWare Infrastructure Client install (vSphere 4) and it is used to manage the vCenter

Within vSphere 4 we have created a Windows 2003 virtual server

Within vSphere 4 we have created a Windows 7 x86 virtual workstation

So were not sure why we don't see the vCenter when we try to add our VDI machine.

We have read through the deployment guide and although there is some great info in there we don't see any step-by-step info on how to actually build this out.

Any other info would be great on how to get a Test Lab up and running with VDI workstations.

And sorry for all of the newbie questions......but we are brand new to this Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

In order to add your vCenter server to the View environment you will need to open up the View Admin page, go to configuration, servers, and there should be a place to add your vCenter server. You will have to supply a username/password of a account with enough rights to complete View related task.

0 Kudos
mqh777
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I did what you suggested. I access the Config Tab then click Servers. There are 3 places to enter a server (on the right side pane)

vCenter Servers

Security Servers

View Servers

Under Security we have nothing defined. Under View Servers we have 1 active server and it is the same machine that View is installed on. Under vCenter I click the ADD link, I add the IP Address of the machine I'm on (where View is installed) and it won't connect. I get this error message thrown up.

The connection was refused or a connect error occurred

I used our Domain Admin ID/Password and kept the default port of 443. I also tried the local Admin ID/Password and neither worked.

I then tried unchecking the SSL button which changed the port to 80. Same error.

And each time I click the "Check for view composer compatability" button I get this error.

Network failure or invalid VC Server. Could not test View Composer availability. User name and password do not match. Could not test View Composer availability.

Have not found much on the internet yet so any help would be great.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter isn't that machine that View is installed to. vCenter is formerly known as Virtual Center and is the management interface for your entire virtual infrastructure. virtual admins will typically connect to vCenter through the VI client.

Security server is a scaled down version of connection broker that is used in DMZ environments to provide tunneled access to external users. Depending on your setup this may or may not be blank.

mqh777
Contributor
Contributor

Bingo.......pointing to the vCenter server solved the issue. Thank you!!

0 Kudos